Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Interesting Good Luck Flag

Article about: I got a call from a friend of mine today about a man having a WWII Good luck flag for sale, so we went to look!I was pleasantly surprised in the condition and I found the handwriting interes

Default Segue ....

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    ...My mother used to embarrass me by writing in old prewar kanji to my school, which to me was completely "misspelled". ...
    Nick's personal anecdote ties in nicely with the first chapter of "Eternal Zero." If you've read the book you might have been confused when the siblings, Kentaro and Keiko, mention "ear" and "advance" when trying to decipher a pre-1945 word. They were researching their grandfather's service and had written to several veterans who might have known him. One response, however, contained a word they didn't recognize: 聯隊 . It couldn't be "Regiment", they surmised, because the word begins with the "ear" radical: . They knew that "regiment" begins with the "advance" radical: .

Old: [rentai; regiment]
    New: [rentai; regiment]

Okay .... back on track!

--Guy

It is "Sad But True" I find myself neglecting my cursive writing more so because of my terrible penmanship. My handwriting would make a doctors look elegant and concise but I often catch myself trying to use it because I rarely do anymore. I was dragged into the world of texting kicking and screaming. Time marches on and as the Borg from Star Trek say...."Resistance is Futile.....You Will Be Assimilated "

Geoff-
    Did you say "assimilated" or "eliminated"....er, uh......? My penmanship has always been deplorable. My father used to tell me to at least make my signature neat as that would often be the only thing that people saw on typed letters, checks, etc. I practiced my signature over and over and it is quite nice, but that's about it. I used to tell my mother that had the nuns not hit my knuckles with the ruler in order to "improve" my writing, that it would have looked neater! Those stories about Catholic schools in the old days seem to be true as I hear similar re-tells over and over!
    MichaelB

nice looking flag!

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Nick's personal anecdote ties in nicely with the first chapter of "Eternal Zero." If you've read the book you might have been confused when the siblings, Kentaro and Keiko, mention "ear" and "advance" when trying to decipher a pre-1945 word. They were researching their grandfather's service and had written to several veterans who might have known him. One response, however, contained a word they didn't recognize: 聯隊 . It couldn't be "Regiment", they surmised, because the word begins with the "ear" radical: . They knew that "regiment" begins with the "advance" radical: .

Old: [rentai; regiment]
    New: [rentai; regiment]

Okay .... back on track!

--Guy
    The 連(连)also means company.like 步兵連: infantry company

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Don't quote me! Grade school students learn it as part of penmanship; I think if a student develops a liking for calligraphy, then that can be learned in a shodo-juku [calligraphy studio] after school or on weekends. There are school calligraphy clubs and lots of calligraphy contests, local and national.

Some people develop a liking for calligraphy but get caught up in daily life, then later pursue the study after retiring.

A martial artist I know living in N. California, Hugh Davey, is a skilled calligrapher and has won contests in Japan. There may be other non-Japanese/Chinese/Korean who are skilled, but I've not yet seen another American as good as he. You can see some of his work on his blog.

His work "Mu" -- nothingness -- is shown below. His signature is 飛石 -- tobiseki -- Jumping Rock. [That might be pronounced Tobi'ishi, but I'm not certain.]

--Guy
    Cool!Flying rock sounds better than Rolling Stone.

Quote by bangbangsan View Post
    The 連(连)also means company.like 步兵連: infantry company
    Correction: "Company" is中隊. You were trying to write 歩兵連隊, Inft Regiment in post war style.

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Correction: "Company" is中隊. You were trying to write 歩兵連隊, Inft Regiment in post war style.
    Nick
    Thanks for your info.I'm not trying to wirte連隊.I was try to say 連 also means(Company),like排(platoon)班(squad).
    Not talking about the IJA 連隊.
    BTW:Is 师团 equal to division?

Then you must be talking about the Chinese Army, not the IJA, as those are unit designations not used in Japan. "連" has no meaning of company in Japanese, only regiment, and there is no such thing as a "歩兵連" in the IJA. Squad is 分隊, Platoon is 小隊, company 中隊, battalion 大隊, regiment 連隊/聯隊and division is 師団. 排 is not used at all in Japan and 班 is used only in the barracks, not by field units.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2