Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japan Rising Sun Flag Find! Authentic ? How do I preserve it?

Article about: Hello all , Just picked up this flag , was curious how it should be preserved? It looks like it must have been folded at one point with a large amount of staining on half the flag. Annoyed f

Default Japan Rising Sun Flag Find! Authentic ? How do I preserve it?

Hello all ,

Just picked up this flag , was curious how it should be preserved?

It looks like it must have been folded at one point with a large amount of staining on half the flag.

also , I assume everything on it looks to be in order?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japan Rising Sun Flag Find! Authentic ? How do I preserve it?   Japan Rising Sun Flag Find! Authentic ? How do I preserve it?  

Japan Rising Sun Flag Find! Authentic ? How do I preserve it?   Japan Rising Sun Flag Find! Authentic ? How do I preserve it?  

Japan Rising Sun Flag Find! Authentic ? How do I preserve it?   Japan Rising Sun Flag Find! Authentic ? How do I preserve it?  

Last edited by historyrecovered; 02-01-2015 at 12:23 AM.

it is made of cloth ,not silk , I assume they were not all made of silk?

?

You are correct that they were not all made from silk. Rayon, cotton and several other fibres were used in the day. Can you provide a photograph of the full flag? Then we can advise if it the Army or Navy version. As for authenticity, that will be easier to judge with the additional photograph as well.

Regards,
    Stu

Added photos stu! Thanks for your help !

?

Thank you for the additional photo.

The flag has the offset red orb associated with Navy usage both during the war but also from 1954 to the present day. Because of that dating it can be very difficult. Under what circumstances did you acquire it? If from a vet estate it's probably WW2 period authentic.

Regards,
    Stu

?

As to preserving it ... in a perfect world you'd have it framed professionally in an archival manner. That involves acid free materials, stitching of the flag to a backing, leaving a space between the flag and the glass, and full closure of the back side to ensure it remains free from critters making it their home.

These framing ventures can be quite costly. Best to take it to the frame shop of a Michael's and have them provide an estimate. Then wait till they have one of their 50-60-% off sales before going any further.

Regards,
    Stu

Thanks ,!...I think I'll just sell it cheaply aND look for other items. I guess $100 is fair?