MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Japanese Ammo Pouch

Article about: Well thats great news, thank you!

Yes, you are quiet right of course. I am grateful for the help.

MAP
    ?

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Yes, you are quiet right of course. I am grateful for the help.
    Douglas..glad to see you got some expert feedback from Jareth and Bob....I'm probably one of those "5" considering it a fake. Sorry for being the odd man out...but as noted, was waiting for better men with more experience to opine and set me straight

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Rod
    ?

I was one of those on WAF that thought this pouch may be a repro. My bad for assuming. Don't be too hard on the guys over there, opinions are worth what you pay for them. Defacto voting on a forum won't make an artifact into something it's not... as Bob points out.

Maybe Jareth or someone familiar with these can confirm whether or not this is a navy ammo pouch? Nakata has one almost identical in his book that is ascribed to the navy.

Douglas, I hope it is genuine!

Best, Rod

Thank you Rod, so it seems that Jareth is the expert on these and I should be taking his opinion most seriously.

If somebody does have a pouch like this one I would indeed be very grateful if they would share it with me.

Many thanks, Doug

Rod
    ?

This would be the first navy pouch I've seen, or at least paid attention to. They are not common in my experience. If that's what it is you've done really well.

My focus is Japanese army related. It's more common to find than navy stuff and better documented.

I couldn't presume to speak to who might know what . Maybe the best outcome is you have a starting point for further research.

Best, Rod

?

No such thing as a navy model. This is a collector myth. Just a variation. I have a typical pouch that has navy acceptance stamp/ brand on back. Anchor with two wavy lines. Regarding pouch discussed in this post having seen better photos on WAF I'm on the fence. Wish there were visible ink stamps to help determine. Sorry to be so wishywashy & indecisive

Ok, if even Jareth isnt sure I will have to assume its a reproduction. Thank you to everybody for the help.

Rod
    ?

There you go Douglas. That's probably as good as it gets from pictures on a discussion forum. I have no experience with this style of pouch apart from book learning and conjecture. What throws me is you say it was in rough shape before you cleaned it up. That makes it old at least.

Thanks Jareth. I'm late to the party on this one. Learning this is just a variation of pouch with no particular significance is a great help.

Best, Rod

Yes, if this is a fake somebody went to some trouble. They squashed it, let the leather become dry and brittle, scorched it in a few places and allowed it to develop a growth of mould all over it. It has taken some effort to get it back to its present condition. So who knows what its history is.

Hi
    i found some examples refered at type99 but without really finding anything on that specific modle
    Bruno

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3