Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese army helmet from Attu

Article about: I picked this one up in a grouping last summer from a USN vet. He was stationed in the Aleutians as a Seabee and picked this helmet up while he was there. His son said that the helmet came f

?

Default Japanese army helmet from Attu

I picked this one up in a grouping last summer from a USN vet. He was stationed in the Aleutians as a Seabee and picked this helmet up while he was there. His son said that the helmet came from the Battle of Attu. I have two other helmets from Attu, and the color is nearly the same, a kind of brownish olive drab. US Army documents state that olive brown was the typical color of helmets used in this battle. Some were also painted white (a recent white relic helmet from Attu surfaced lately).

Named to Hanada. I recently received a very rare and interesting wartime commemorative book on the Battle of Attu, that lists the names of every soldier lost in the battle, with portraits of almost all of them. I hope to match a face to the name shortly.

The last picture shows the Navy vet's helmet alongside the Attu helmet. I do not believe that he was in the battle, or even on Attu. But he was a store manager and no doubt did some trading. His son said the helmet came from Attu, and I have no reason not to believe that. As stated, I hope to find more information on the soldier soon.

The other named Attu helmet that I owned was used by a soldier with the surname of Higuchi. Unfortunately, there were five soldiers on Attu with that name. I have pictures of them all, along with particulars about where they were from, rank, etc. Interestingly, the entire unit hailed from Hokkaido, which makes sense since they were experienced winter troops.

?

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Very difficult for me to spot. Here is a sample page.

Quote by NARVIK View Post
    Very difficult for me to spot. Here is a sample page.

I don't see a 花田 (ハナダ) on that page .... Hanada can be one of the following:

花田
    畠田
    椛田

So, concentrate on the second kanji of the family name .

I did see:
    櫻田 Sakurada
    武田 Takeda
    藤田 Fujita
    倉田 Kurata [I think that was ... can't see it clearly].
    須田 Suda/Suta/Mada
    柴田 Shibata

Cheers!
    --Guy

?

Thanks, Guy! Very helpful! Here is a link to my other Attu helmets:

Two Japanese Army helmets from the battle of Attu

-Scott

Scott,
    You have some very special pieces of history in your care, pieces that most would be thrilled to have just one helmet but three is very rare. I believe you will be a good caretaker of these fine helmets.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Default Hanada-san

My helper has found one Hanada-san, pictured here. There may be more with other kanji combinations. I rather hope not, as I am hoping this is him.

Thanks so far for all the comments and help!