Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

japanese battle flag

Article about: by zwerge The 5 large kanji on the left say,Prayers For Everlasting Fortune In War,the rest of it is usually the names of the people wishing him this good fortune. Yes, this is correct, it i

Default Re: japanese battle flag

Quote by zwerge View Post
    The 5 large kanji on the left say,Prayers For Everlasting Fortune In War,the rest of it is usually the names of the people wishing him this good fortune.

Yes, this is correct, it is a "well wishes in war " type flag, also with the names of the different people giving this soldier the flag.
    I think the large 5 characters for well wishes are "Bunn-Chok-yo" or something very similar. This is very common on many Japanese flags of all sizes.

Regards, Steve

?

It is Kibu Unchokyu.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    It is Kibu Unchokyu.
    Ahhh yes, that is it. Thanks. I was close....

Steve

?

Hi Pondboss , unfortunately these flags are notoriously difficult to have translated due to the fact that the Japanese language has evolved so much from the vintage japanese used in the forties , so much so that most of today`s generation of Japanese people cannot translate these writings . So you really need to find an older generation Japanese to help . Good luck in your quest , you have a very nice example there
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

its tough to find a elderly japanese man in the mountains of pennsylvania,but i will keep looking

jimbocvs20
    ?

Hey Pondboss- I have a Japanese Flag that my father took off a deceased Japanese soldier during the Luzon Battle. My flag shows the scars of battle. Iwill post a pix soon. I have a few of the characters interperted and they are nasty toward Americans!

?

I look forward to seeing your flag
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

cant wait to see it thanks for the comments...lets see more flags

?

Talking Re: japanese battle flag

Thats a nice example of a good luck flag you have there. As others have mentioned, these flags are very difficult to translate. I took mine with me one day when I went to a local sushi bar. The waitress knew a few of the characters, but had to consult who I assumed to be her mother for the others. The older japanese lady told me that it is very difficult to read because of the different handwriting styles, and that they are mostly family names.

I havent done much research beyond that. There is a book I've been meaning to buy though, and I've heard its a wealth of information.

Amazon.com: Imperial Japanese Good Luck Flags and One-Thousand Stitch Belts (9780764329272): Michael A. Bortner: Books

I also stumbled upon this website:

Nambu World: Japanese Good Luck Flags

Hope you can get some of it translated

Stu W
    ?

Hello,

Yosegaki Hinomaru (Good Luck Flags) are indeed difficult to fully translate as the language is old school. However Dr. Mike Bortner offers a translation service through his web site. Here is a link...

Get History Today - Home

He's also a member of Wehrmacht Awards Forum (WAF name MIkeB) and could be contacted there if you wish his assistance. Might be a member here too, I just don't happen to know. You could search that name and find out.

You need also be aware that these flags are most often flown and read with the tabs on the right side. It makes a huge difference when reading the kanji.

Although these flags were carried into battle by the soldier they are more often referred to as Good Luck flags to differentiate them from rayed battle flag such as the one below.

Hope some of this helps.

Kind regards,
    Stu
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture japanese battle flag  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast