Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese bayonet with bamboo scabbard

Article about: Just added this bayo to my Japanese collection Hope you like it Nick

Default Japanese bayonet with bamboo scabbard

Just added this bayo to my Japanese collection

Hope you like it

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese bayonet with bamboo scabbard   Japanese bayonet with bamboo scabbard  

Japanese bayonet with bamboo scabbard   Japanese bayonet with bamboo scabbard  

Japanese bayonet with bamboo scabbard   Japanese bayonet with bamboo scabbard  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Cool scabbard

MAP
    ?

Thats a nice salty late war/last ditch bayo. Appears damage is wartime given the rewound thread.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Real nice late war bayonet. These are increasing in value at a fast rate.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Title:
    Japanese bayonet with bamboo scabbard
    The scabbard looks like wood to me, not bamboo.

--Guy

Thanks guys for your comments !

What does 'last Ditch' actually refer to please?

Thanks

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

MAP
    ?

This is not a "true" last ditch in my opinion despite my comment above. It is often thrown around a bit too loosely (of which I was guilty above). Also I do not think there is a definative definition of the term.

Last Ditch would generally be even more crude in it's construction than this. If I remember correctly it would generally not have a barrel ring or attachment slot and potentially arsenal marks. This one is just an example of a late war piece that was impacted by the lack of raw materials.

I have one of these. Mine is in better shape from a construction point of view. So yours gives a nice indication of the decline in craftsmanship as the war was ending.

You also see the decline in quality and catagorization (Late and "last ditch") with the Arisaka rifles and swords as well.

Others may have a bit more clearer and refined answer to your question.

Michael

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

End of the war time frame. Japanese was near the end with supplies, people, resources... Etc. the weapons were not up to anyone's standards. Marty
    Last edited by Tank Destroyer; 06-01-2015 at 08:08 PM.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thanks guys ! Japanese militaria collecting is going to bring an exciting new learning curve

Nick

Nice one. Love these Japanese late war bayonets.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast