Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Canteen

Article about: Hi everyone, Picked this up at a flea market this morning. I normally don't collect Japanese items, but this was just a beautiful canteen, I couldn't resist it, plus the price was right. The

Default Japanese Canteen

Hi everyone,

Picked this up at a flea market this morning. I normally don't collect Japanese items, but this was just a beautiful canteen, I couldn't resist it, plus the price was right. There are Japanese characters on the body of the canteen, so I'm guessing the original owner may have put his name on it? I don't read Japanese, so I have no idea. By the condition, I'm guessing it was a souvenir that came home in a duffle bag. The asking price was $75, which I thought was a fair price considering it's condition. Perhaps I paid more than I should have, but if I could only have one good Japanese canteen, it was going to be this one.

It's going in the rest of my Burma collection.......think $75 was a good price?

Cheers!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Canteen   Japanese Canteen  

?

Default Re: Japanese Canteen

Looks good ,I would have paid that much for it.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

This is a nice looking canteen, and you have the right to be happy with it!

Dolan

Dolan, I just started collecting Japanese. This is an excellent and fairly priced purchase. Owners often added their name to the canteen and the harness. Look for a few stitched characters on the strap or harness as well. You would do well to invest in a few books before purchasing more. I got the Men at Arms series books, the US handbook on Japanese Forces and another full color book is on the way. I can recommend some reputable dealers off line if you wish. Neil

?

Its in very nice condition , i like it
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

I saw one in the antique mall in a militaria dealers booth and his was priced at $75 and it was just like yours except it had a large dent and had some more Japanese writing on the back.

$75 for a Japanese canteen with the carrier in that condition is a very nice find.The carrier is a mid to later war pattern as the earlier ones have a strap of leather that ran through the cork stopper.The cloth tie is an economy version. If you can do it, show a photo of the bottom of the canteen (with the carrier removed) and I might be able to tell a date on it...if your interested!
    Eric

?

It does appear to be a name.
    The first Character will be the Family name, unfortunately it is illegible.
    The second character is for "Luck" but in this case it is the man's name which is pronounced "Fuk".
    I hope this helps.