Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Civil Defense Helmet. Real or Fake?

Article about: Hello All! I recently purchased this helmet at the Reading WW2 weekend in Reading, PA. I bought it for \\$130 at the military flea market. To be honest, I am very worried about whether or not

Default Japanese Civil Defense Helmet. Real or Fake?

Hello All!

I recently purchased this helmet at the Reading WW2 weekend in Reading, PA. I bought it for $130 at the military flea market.

To be honest, I am very worried about whether or not this helmet is authentic. The seller couldn't tell me much about it, but he told me a rather convincing story about how he obtained it. He told me that he travels to Japan on a regular basis to pick up militaria from a collector there. He told me about the trip, Japanese culture, he spoke some Japanese...

A Japanese helmet was the only helmet from a major power missing from my modest WW2 collection. I took a blind leap of faith and purchased the helmet. What do you guys think? Did I make out okay?

The things that worry me are that it is supposed to be civil defense helmet yet it has a star like an infantry helmet. Also, the liner looks too good to be true.

Thanks for all your help!

Default Re: Japanese Civil Defense Helmet. Real or Fake?

this a civil defense helmet,,,combat helmets have a six fingered leather liner not a head sock like this one,and the shape of the combat helmet is different too...more pointed as you go towards the top

So it is authentic?

I am not able to find any markings inside the helmet. Also, the rivets are secure, but seem very loose.

yes it is authentic too...

Sorry to bug you! Would you say the $130 I paid for it was a fair price?

i think you paid a fair price for it,,,

I explained to the vendor that I am a high school history teacher and I was looking for a Japanese helmet to round off my collection and share with my students. He cut the price down from $150. Overall I'm very pleased with myself!

Thank you so much for your help!