Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Japanese collection question

Article about: Hello Friends, I have a question about the japanese stuff in WW II the prices in generaly are not expensive, jackets and caps, more for helmets or rare caps but Vs The German army it's a gre

Default Japanese collection question

Hello Friends,

I have a question about the japanese stuff in WW II the prices in generaly are not expensive, jackets and caps, more for helmets or rare caps but Vs The German army it's a great score, my question is : why ?

many thanks all
    Sebastian

Default Re: Japanese collection question

Good question......from an historical context, there should not be much difference..... I do not have an answer at this point in time

I would think a simple case of demand.Collectors seem to hold TR militaria in more asteem that of the Imp. Japanese,it was the banished regime and all aspects of it were to be pushed into the annels of history in the 1945 mind set and forgotten forever.
    Now if collecting militaria was a big thing in Asia it may be a different story re Japanese military history.That said it is quite big here in Australia and the US for obvious reasons.
    Just my thoughts.
    Cheers
    Dave

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    I would think a simple case of demand.Collectors seem to hold TR militaria in more asteem that of the Imp. Japanese,it was the banished regime and all aspects of it were to be pushed into the annels of history in the 1945 mind set and forgotten forever.
    Now if collecting militaria was a big thing in Asia it may be a different story re Japanese military history.That said it is quite big here in Australia and the US for obvious reasons.
    Just my thoughts.
    Cheers
    Dave
    Dave

I have just given this some thought, not much, so not too profound, but take away the Jewish question with TR, and surely one must agree that the Japanese were just as brutal in their approach to absolute victory, as the TR were, perhaps the Japanese did not have so many " pretty " awards as it were ? Hence not so attractive to collectors??

Purely 'fashion'-German stuff is more fashionable and has been pretty much since the war ended (and even during as souveniring was a major pass time with the troops). Much of the Japanese stuff was low quality in comparison and well used under harsh tropical conditions by the time it was captured...

I agree with Lithgow, I think the eye appeal is a huge reason why. Germany's uniforms were especially designed with attractiveness in mind, Japan's were not. In addition, Germany had a greater impact in WWII, not to mention they were the instigators of it. Japanese militaria is still really popular. I wish there was more of it on the forum.

Corey

Ever since I started collecting, I have heard in the collector rumors that Japanese militaria is going to take off as prices rise on 3rd Reich material. That has never really happened. Besides eye appeal, there has never been a serious reference book published in English. The Western collector is also dealing not only with a foreign language but also a complicated combinations of pictographs and phonetic characters. Sword have always been popular-especially the better quality old blades. Helmets have also been good collectables. As to uniforms, as most Japanese soldiers fought to the death, little was salvagable except possibly for insignia. Yosegaki hinomaru have recently gone up in value.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    I agree with Lithgow, I think the eye appeal is a huge reason why. Germany's uniforms were especially designed with attractiveness in mind, Japan's were not. In addition, Germany had a greater impact in WWII, not to mention they were the instigators of it. Japanese militaria is still really popular. I wish there was more of it on the forum.

Corey
    Corey

You will find that WW2 effectively started well before Germany invaded Poland in 1939, study the Japanese in the mid to late 1930's

I have to say I am starting to really get into the Japanese stuff of late. Bought afew things in myself and I am taken but them. Their items are not of the same quality as German but in the same breath they do also have quite a charm. I love the German 1944/45 stuff so the Japanese items fit in nicely

Agreed gents.
    One other aspect may be the fact that European conflicts and those which engaged European races tend to be more popular with 'western" collectors and historians.
    Napoleonic era though to WW2,Soviet to Spanish etc whilst non European race conflicts tend not to have a big following.How many of us collect 1930's Chinese militaria for example.
    It certainly is a deeper question than it first appears.
    Cheers fella's
    Dave

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast