Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Japanese Combat Helmet - Iwo Jima vet bringback?

Article about: by GIZMO8Z It happened again! My family owns a recycling facility. Pople dump militaria all the time. This time, a customer saw a sign I made and donated a JAPANESE COMBAT HELMET to me! He s

Default Re: Japanese Combat Helmet - Iwo Jima vet bringback?

In the US I regularly see intact Japanese combat helmets (not the civilian type) in the range of $900. I think this is a bit high. But when you consider how fragile the liner bands are it is easy to see how someone might command this kind of price. With intact paint, intact liner, good markings and an original intact net I would put this example over 1K. I can only speculate on the value added if it is proven to be from Iwo Jima. Clear proof and identification of the original owner could send this one into the stratosphere. 3K? 5K? Best person to ask is Eric Doody. I'll send an inquiry. NH

Wow, thanks! This helmet really has my head swimming. I can't believe it!

I'm hoping someone can help me translate the marks on the helmet. Maybe that'll help lock down for sure where this helmet was taken from.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and kind words!

?

Okay, here is my read.

The white paint splotches are just that.

The name scratched into the metal reads:

NAKAJIMA Kazu(o) 中島一

This assumes that he had trouble scratching in a straight horizontal line which is the only Japanese character even close to the zigzagged scratch. There are several ways to read the character for the first name (一) and I provided the two most common.

Probably will not get to the other stuff before Mon.

Tom

Quote by tmys View Post
    Okay, here is my read.

The white paint splotches are just that.

The name scratched into the metal reads:

NAKAJIMA Kazu(o) 中島一

This assumes that he had trouble scratching in a straight horizontal line which is the only Japanese character even close to the zigzagged scratch. There are several ways to read the character for the first name (一) and I provided the two most common.
    WOW! Thank you so much! Is there a registry where I can track down more information about this soldier? Do you think his was a common name?

I found other Type 90 helmets for sale at the collectors guild that have similar 3 white paint splotches. They explain it as being a mark labling the helmet as size: Large. What do you think?

For example:

The Collector's Guild

The Collector's Guild

Quote by tmys View Post
    Probably will not get to the other stuff before Mon.

Tom
    There's more!? THANKS TOM!
    Last edited by GIZMO8Z; 08-19-2011 at 01:16 AM.

?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    WOW! Thank you so much! Is there a registry where I can track down more information about this soldier? Do you think his was a common name?

I found other Type 90 helmets for sale at the collectors guild that have similar 3 white paint splotches. They explain it as being a mark labling the helmet as size: Large. What do you think?

For example:

The Collector's Guild

The Collector's Guild

There's more!? THANKS TOM!
    I'm not familiar with helmets but the size explanation does not seem unreasonable.

The name is not that unusual, and the Japanese Government has a record of every military member that died on Iwo and in the war itself. If you contact the Japanese Consulate, they may be able to help but might also make a pitch for returning the helmet to Nakajima's family.

Tom

Quote by tmys View Post
    I'm not familiar with helmets but the size explanation does not seem unreasonable.

The name is not that unusual, and the Japanese Government has a record of every military member that died on Iwo and in the war itself. If you contact the Japanese Consulate, they may be able to help but might also make a pitch for returning the helmet to Nakajima's family.

Tom
    That could very well be the right thing to do. I'll look into it.

UPDATE!

The customer who gave me this helmet came back into our facility the other day. I got the story wrong... it belonged to to his father-in-law. His father-in-law's name was George J. Ritz, and he served in the Navy.

With this new found information, I contacted Wagriff here on the forum. He did all the work (I am EXTREMELY THANKFUL), and it turns out that George J. Ritz served on LSM 264.

LSM 264 did IN FACT take part in the Iwo Jima operation:

Here is the information that wagriff was able to find:
    George J. Ritz enlisted on July 3 1943. He was assigned to the LCH (1) Group of Gunfire and Support Craft.His rating at this time was Seaman 2nd Class.
    (LCH=Landing Craft Heavy) By November 30,1944, he was onboard the LSM 264.( LSM = Landing Ship Medium.) His rating at this time was now Seaman 1st Class. He was still aboard the LSM 264 as of April 1, 1946 with the rating of Coxswain.
    LSM-1 Class Landing Ship Medium:
    Laid down (date unknown) at Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newark, N.J.
    Launched (date unknown)
    Commissioned USS LSM-264, 10 July 1944, LT. Frederick M. Parrish, Jr., USNR, in command
    During WWII LSM-264 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific Theater and participated in the:
    Iwo Jima operation;
    (a) Assault and occupation of Iwo Jima, 19 February to 16 March 1945
    Decommissioned, 2 May 1946
    Struck from the Naval Register (date unknown)
    Final Disposition, sold, 19 June 1947, to American Barge Co., Cincinnati, OH., fate unknown
    LSM-264 earned one battle star for World War II service
    Specifications:
    Displacement 520 t.(light), 743 t. (landing) 1,095 t.(fully loaded)
    Length 203' 6"
    Beam 34' 6"
    Draft light, 3' 6" forward, 7' 8" aft, fully loaded, 6' 4" forward, 8' 3" aft
    Speed 13.2 kts. (max.), (928 tons displacement)
    Complement 5 officers, 54 enlisted
    Armament one single bow mounted 40mm gun, four single 20mm gun mounts
    Vehicle/Boat Capacity 5 medium or 3 heavy tanks, or 6 LVT's, or 9 DUKW's
    Troop Accommodations 2 officers, 46 enlisted
    Armor 10-lb. STS splinter shield to gun mounts, pilot house and conning station
    Propulsion two Fairbanks Morse (model 38D81/8X10, reversible with hydraulic clutch) diesels. Direct drive with 1,440 BHP each @ 720rpm, twin screws
    Endurance 4,900 miles @ 12kts.(928 tons displacement)

Here is the source page for most of this information. It includes many excellent photos of LSM 264 actually landing on Iwo Jima.
    http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/14/14264.htm
    AWESOME!

Wagriff also pointed me in the direction of authentic personal pictures that were taken on LSM 264. They were being sold on e-bay for a reasonable price, so I gobbled them up!

Wow..... Great helmet. Great photos. Great thread.

Congrats, Joe !
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast