Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese Compass, Military or Civilian

Article about: Hello Everyone, A friend of mine is offering me this compass, and I could use some advice from some of the more knowledgable members. Is this a war time compass, or post war piece for scouts

?

Default Japanese Compass, Military or Civilian

Hello Everyone,
    A friend of mine is offering me this compass, and I could use some advice from some of the more knowledgable members. Is this a war time compass, or post war piece for scouts. The Body appears to be made from aluminum. the back appears to be unmarked. As always I thank you in advance for your time and help.Japanese Compass, Military or Civilian

Civilian compass and not possible to tell whether Japanese or Chinese. Japanese military compasses were generally wristband types.

?

Nick, thanks for the reply. That is the feeling I got from this piece, but I wanted someone more knowledgeable to confirm it for me. Thank you again.

Here is a photo of a wrist compass from my collection for reference. Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Compass, Military or Civilian  

?

Geoff, Thanks for posting the photo. that's a nice example. I also like how you photographed it. It makes a great display.
    Thanks Vic

Please note the wrist compasses shown here including mine below are all non-issue private purchase ones you could buy at the PX. These were primarily wrist watch bands with a compass added. Issue compasses were larger liquid filled wrist models like the German Luftwaffe pilot compasses.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Compass, Military or Civilian  

?

Great pictures Nick, those are really nice examples. Thanks for positing them. Since Officers purchased most of their equipment, it would be safe to assume that there is a wide variety of these, or did the military dictate a few acceptable types from which an officer could choose?

I think the build was most likely Japanese although most of these compasses have no markings on the reverse. Yours seems to have a sought of maker mark on the knob. Im also interested in the time period for this piece. 40s? 50?

?

I did not know that the JAPANESE had PX'S. just like we have?

The Military PXs in barracks and large ships were set up like little restaurants with a merchandise counter, where soldiers took turns playing shopkeeper. Canned foods, soft drinks, snacks, sweets, post cards, tooth brushes, towels with unit logos, soap, etc. were sold and it became like a lounge where soldiers relaxed. In the army, alcohol was served only on certain days of the week or not at all, while the navy was more generous in this regard. New recruits were prohibited from using the PX for their first half year of training.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Compass, Military or Civilian   Japanese Compass, Military or Civilian  

Japanese Compass, Military or Civilian  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast