Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Defiance against Nazi Germany's Repression of the Jews

Article about: As I wrote before, Japan had long owed a special debt to the Jews since the Russo-Japanese War, which was financed by American Jewish money. This pro-Jewish sentiment obviously became a prob

Default Japanese Defiance against Nazi Germany's Repression of the Jews

As I wrote before, Japan had long owed a special debt to the Jews since the Russo-Japanese War, which was financed by American Jewish money. This pro-Jewish sentiment obviously became a problem when Japan allied itself with Hitler, as Ribbentrop pressured Japan to align itself with Germany in the Endlösung.

However, in a cabinet meeting held in December 1938, based upon the proposal made by Army Minister Itagaki, the cabinet officially decided to defy the German policy of persecution of the Jews. And because of this tacit support back home, many Jews were able to avoid the German death camps with the help of the Kwantung Army and Japanese consulates and embassies in Europe.

Little is known that the much villainized Hideki Tojo actually was the one who ordered many of these operations to save the Jews. However, instead, it was his subordinate, Generalmajor Higuchi of the Kwantung Army who executed Tojo's commands that made it into the "Golden Book", a monument honoring heroes in the establishment of Israel.

Here is a well researched article on "Tojo as the Oskar Schindler" of Japan. I find the author's view on the Nanking Massacre a bit too revisionist to swallow, but Japan's support of the persecuted Jews is quite factual. The article also explains how the slogan found on many Yosegaki flags, "Hakkou Ichiu" 八紘一宇 was the concept under which Japan extended a helping hand to the Jews.
    Last edited by Nick Komiya; 06-01-2019 at 09:23 PM.

?

The author definitely has an interesting take on things. Is he strictly a writer, or is he also active in politics, activism, etc.?

Tom

Here is his Wikipedia profile in Japanese 綾織次郎 - Wikipedia, which primarily categorizes him as a political journalist.

Very interesting bit of history, thanks Nick! I had never heard of this.

Here, some back up material I found that support the author's claim.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Defiance against Nazi Germany's Repression of the Jews   Japanese Defiance against Nazi Germany's Repression of the Jews  

Here's the opening of Dr. Kaufmann's full letter (not the short telegram version) from which I translated the part boxed in red. You can see reference to Hakko Ichiu and how it was extended to the Jews.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Defiance against Nazi Germany's Repression of the Jews