Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Dog Tag Help Please

Article about: I picked this tag out of a group of Korean War Era Medals. The numbers on one side are similar to another tag that was traced to the battle of the Philippines so I am assuming it was picked

Default Japanese Dog Tag Help Please

I picked this tag out of a group of Korean War Era Medals. The numbers on one side are similar to another tag that was traced to the battle of the Philippines so I am assuming it was picked up during that campaign. Any help or confirmation would be greatly appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Dog Tag Help Please   Japanese Dog Tag Help Please  

That is from the 33rd Inft Rgt. The crossed out rear side is in the uncoded old style, that recorded his entry into the 133rd Inft, which was the home-sitting and training regiment for the 33rd out in the field. These units were numbered by adding 100 to the parent unit number. By the time he was sent out to the 33rd, the code system was in use, so they basically repeated the rear side info in the new code. When he joined, the 33rd was already fully deployed in the field, so they registered him as member of the 33rd Replacement Rgt (middle line in back) then he spent some time in the 133 home reserve (rightmost line on rear) before finally joining the 33rd.

Thanks Nick for the education on this tag. In your post about dog tags would it be possible to get a idea of the time frame of the transition from none coded to coded numbers.

Yes, it's all written in my article.

I’m reading that post now and have forgot how much knowledge is there. THANKS NICK!!!!

?

Very nice tag!

Tom