Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Dog Tags

Article about: Two Japanese dog tags I don't see these very often so don't know how common they are or if these are common fakes. 1) First is Brass. One side is "X"ed out, I think this means it w

MAP
    ?

Default Japanese Dog Tags

Two Japanese dog tags I don't see these very often so don't know how common they are or if these are common fakes.

1) First is Brass. One side is "X"ed out, I think this means it was cancelled and then re-issued but if anyone knows any better, please let me know.

My wife tried to translate (some characters similar to Chinese) but if anyone can give me an accurate translation that would be great.

Front side right to left: 7768/15/ Infantry 31
    Reverse side with X's: "Infantry Regiment " 59, middle: "Company" 3, Left: "Soldiers ID" 63

Japanese Dog TagsJapanese Dog Tags

The second is much more simple. Steel. One sided.

Don't know the translation for this.

Japanese Dog TagsJapanese Dog Tags

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I have NEVER seen a WW2 Japanese dog tag. Sorry I cant help with the translation but those are AWESOME!!!! I love this site!!!!!!

Thanks

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I have NEVER seen a WW2 Japanese dog tag. Sorry I cant help with the translation but those are AWESOME!!!! I love this site!!!!!!

Thanks

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks Phil. Made my day!

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

The "X" ed out tag was either reissued or soldier was transferred to another unit etc. steel tags are far less common than brass. All tag info is numerical & in coded .

MAP
    ?

Quote by Jareth View Post
    The "X" ed out tag was either reissued or soldier was transferred to another unit etc. steel tags are far less common than brass. All tag info is numerical & in coded .
    Thanks again Jarath. And here I thought the steel ones were more common. My mother will be happy. Learned something today!

Michael

?

Your tag with the 7768 coded unit is for the same regiment that is crossed out on the other side: 59th infantry Regiment/14th Division, last located in the Palau's (Peleliu). The steel tag I don't have a number match for, but the code kanji above 4101 "higashi" was used for the 35th Division, last located on New Guinea. The blood type of "A" is also stamped as well.

Tom

MAP
    ?

Quote by tomp View Post
    Your tag with the 7768 coded unit is for the same regiment that is crossed out on the other side: 59th infantry Regiment/14th Division, last located in the Palau's (Peleliu). The steel tag I don't have a number match for, but the code kanji above 4101 "higashi" was used for the 35th Division, last located on New Guinea. The blood type of "A" is also stamped as well.

Tom
    Tom,

Great information. Can't thank you enough!

He do you research this? Would love to learn myself. Of course I can't read kanji which doesn't help !!!!!

Regards,

Michael

?

No problem, I am happy to help. Unit codes come from all over the place and at this time there is no central database or the like available for Japanese unit codes. My sources are varied, including Victor Madej's Japanese order of battle books, which have several hundred codes within two volumes. There are Japanese sites as well, along with unit histories, US intel. documents from the war, etc. that have portions of unit codes published.

Tom

MAP
    ?

Quote by tomp View Post
    No problem, I am happy to help. Unit codes come from all over the place and at this time there is no central database or the like available for Japanese unit codes. My sources are varied, including Victor Madej's Japanese order of battle books, which have several hundred codes within two volumes. There are Japanese sites as well, along with unit histories, US intel. documents from the war, etc. that have portions of unit codes published.

Tom
    Tom,

Well glad you've helped because I wouldn't have been able to do that. Kudos to you!