Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Japanese/ Dutch East-Indies ID card?

Article about: Today I got this card ID'd to a Dutch woman in the Dutch East-Indies. The card is in, I think, Japanese and bahasa Indonesia and I assume it's some sort of ID card and dates from 1942-1945.

Hi earlymb,

Came across this post while doing research into the background of Theresia Elisabeth (Betsy) van 't Wout Hofland (Soekaboemi 23 July 1893 - Yogyakarta 12 June 1982). Betsy was a halfsister of Emma Caroline - Betsy was a daughter of Jacobus Albertus van 't Wout Hofland (Soebang 22 March 1855 - Buitenzorg 15 May 1932) and his first wife Henriette Louise Marie Ottoline Gerrits (Batavia or Banka 25 June 1866 - Soekaboemi? ?? ??? 1898?), who had married on 31 July 1884 in Soebang. Jacobus Albertus was a grandson of the renowned Pieter William Hofland, owner of the Pamanoekan and Tjiasem estates.
    Reference: P.W.Hofland, Soebang, 1878 – Koloniale Monumenten

Thanks to his parents, Jacobus Albertus was the first generation that was allowed to start using the surname 'van 't Wout Hofland'.
    References: Nederlandsche staatscourant >> 11 apr 1857 - Art. 13 | Delpher and De Nederlandsche Leeuw, jaargang 30 (1912) - Koninklijk Nederlandsch Genootschap voor Geslacht- en Wapenkunde

Betsy was the 5th child out of 6 in total. She had 3 full sisters and 2 brothers - 1 brother had passed away immediately after having been born:
    * Anna Dorothea Adelaide (Adele) van 't Wout Hofland (Soebang 27 or 28 June 1885 - Buitenzorg 11 February 1936)
    * Egbert Charles Louis van 't Wout Hofland (Soekaboemi 3 January 1888 - Soekaboemi 4 January 1888)
    * Agnettus Dorotheus van 't Wout Hofland (Soekaboemi 1 March 1889 - Bogor? between 1953-1954?)
    * Amelia Wilhelmina (Emmy) van 't Wout Hofland (Nganjuk or Soekaboemi 23 September 1891 - Jakarta 25 March 1968)
    * Mathilde (Tilly) van 't Wout Hofland (Soekaboemi 23 April 1895 - Nijmegen 22 August 1958)

Emma Caroline was born in Buitenzorg (nowadays Bogor) on 18 August 1909 as daughter of Jacobus Albertus van 't Wout Hofland and his second wife Adrienne Pauline Adelaide Josephine Gerrits (Muntok 21 April 1868 - Hilversum 6 September 1965). Pauline was a full sister of Henriette, and Jacobus Albertus married Pauline on 20 June 1901 after Henriette had passed away. Emma Caroline had a full brother Johannes Theodorus van 't Wout Hofland (Batavia 27 March 1902 - Voorburg 20 November 1988). Both Pauline and Johannes Theodorus have been buried at the Noorderbegraafplaats in Hilversum. Johannes Theodorus was the second and last child of Jacobus Albertus and Pauline that I am aware of.
    References:
    - Pauline: Graftombe.nl - Informatie over Pauline Gerrits and Pauline Gerrits geb. 21 apr 1868 ovl. 06 sep 1965
    - Johannes Theodorus: https://graftombe.nl/names/info/6674..._hofland_van_t and http://www.hilversum.genwiki.net/get...&tree=we190410

Emma Caroline used to work for the Department of Economical Affairs in Buitenzorg in the 1930's.
    Reference: https://www.nationaalarchief.nl/onde...ab=gahetnascan

As far as I am aware Emma Caroline had neither been engaged or married. From the above information I derive that she and her mother have been detained in a Japanese women's camp. Emma Caroline passed away on 25 June 1946 and is recognized as victim of war:
    Reference: https://oorlogsgravenstichting.nl/pe...t-wout-hofland (at the time of writing this post her name is misspelled here as 'Emma Carolina')
    I do not have information whether she has passed away as result of WW II hardship (having been a camp detainee) or subsequent Bersiap violence.

The Van 't Wout Hofland family has various descendents in The Netherlands - would they have an interest in the above mentioned historic relics?

Alternatively, the Dutch National Archives have published a lot of Japanese camp registration cards but they may be focused on prisoners of war only:
    https://www.nationaalarchief.nl/onde...neringskaarten

Hi Edwin,

thanks for all the information! i would like to find out Emma's cause of death, as it's almost certainly not natural.

The family has no interest in these items and I got to pick whatever I wanted, apart from this and other WW2-related documents I have also picked a few photo albums from the 1920's and other documents relating to pre-WW2 Netherlands east-Indies.

Hi Earlymb,

On the 'Oorlogsgravenstichting' website it is mentioned that Emma is buried 'Buiten Erevelden', which means she has been buried elsewhere - it could be Buitenzorg (Bogor). I have filed a correction request at the Oorlogsgravenstichting (to correct her first name) and I will also ask them if they would have further information on why Emma has been recognized as war victim and what has been her cause of death.

Was your aunt's best friend also named van 't Wout Hofland or was she related to this family in a different way? Would you mind disclosing your aunt's best friend name considering that she has passed away?

Back in 2007 Mr. Edo Hofland has written an article for the "Indische Navorser" publication on the Hofland incl. Van 't Wout Hofland families. Highly recommended read and available (digital download) here:
    Indische Navorscher, Orgaan van de Indische Genealogische Vereniging, jaargang 20 (2007), nr. 1, blz. 25-52.
    Reference: De Indische Navorscher (DIN) 2000-2007 (Digitaal) - IGV

It includes a family tree including descendants with birth years until 1994. Most of the current descendants relate to Agnettus Dorotheus van 't Wout Hofland, who had 11 children.

A discussion on the Masquerier Hofland and Van 't Wout Hofland double surnames can be found here:
    Reference: Aannemen dubbele naam >> Onderzoek in Indonesie >> Stamboom Forum
    Last edited by edwinberends; 01-14-2020 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Additional information

Hi Earlymb, I have sent you a direct message via the mailbox of this forum - one of questions is whether you can make a scan of Emma Caroline's residence card picture available for publication on the 'Oorlogsgravenstichting' website. Looking forward to your reply.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2