Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Japanese Field Caps Found In China Recent Finds

Article about: Hi, here are a couple Japanese tropical field caps that have finally arrived. One is the stereotypical flapped style cap you always see in the movies. The construction of the 2 caps is quite

Default Re: Japanese Field Caps Found In China Recent Finds

Thanks.

I would not have great concerns regarding Japanese war graves being violated. The Japanese cremated the remains of their war dead and returned them to Japan. Later in the war, transportation of war dead remains slacked off considerably. There was little concern for the remains of the Japanese war dead that fell under the auspicous of the Allied forces. Bodies were left to rot, burned or bulldozed in to large pits. I once had the cremated remains of an IJA soldier whose ashes had been sold as a souvenir on New Guinea by a native person. After five years, I was able to locate his family and return his remains. That is a story for another thread.
    As to the caps, the cloth star is not what I would consider of the quality found on a standard Japanese military cap. The three dimensional star is reminiscent of insignia found on civil helmets.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    I would not have great concerns regarding Japanese war graves being violated. The Japanese cremated the remains of their war dead and returned them to Japan. Later in the war, transportation of war dead remains slacked off considerably. There was little concern for the remains of the Japanese war dead that fell under the auspicous of the Allied forces. Bodies were left to rot, burned or bulldozed in to large pits. I once had the cremated remains of an IJA soldier whose ashes had been sold as a souvenir on New Guinea by a native person. After five years, I was able to locate his family and return his remains. That is a story for another thread.
    As to the caps, the cloth star is not what I would consider of the quality found on a standard Japanese military cap. The three dimensional star is reminiscent of insignia found on civil helmets.

Hi Bob, I agree, war dead were not a such priority with the Japanese, as it was with the U.S, and with most of our allies. I have also heard of the treatments that you speak of.

Great story on the return of the Japanese soldier's ashes. I think that would be a very interesting post. Who of his family were alive, distant, close relatives? In what year were the ashes sold as a souvenir? When did you get them, What year did you return them? In person, by mail? How do you know they were the ashes from the soldier, they were said to have been from?

I believe these caps are 100%, just not IJA "issue" and certainly are not "standard" They are in-country made, and I would not doubt it, if made by forced labor. The IJA in 30's China had its own procedures for many things. They had to operate fairly independently from the homeland, as mainland Japan was not just down the street, or around the corner. All for the Emperor though

I am researching more detailed info on the cap with metal star. I am fairly sure it has some significance, maybe not a "traitor" hat, but something. I will post info when I find out.

Regards, Steve

I will start a new thread tomorrow on the journey of this soldier and myself tomorrow. It was a trip that took a number of years before it was completed with astounding results.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    I will start a new thread tomorrow on the journey of this soldier and myself tomorrow. It was a trip that took a number of years before it was completed with astounding results.

Great Bob, look forward to reading the story.

Regards, Steve

?

Kwantung Army had their own depot in Mukden, and Northern Chinese Expeditionary had their own depot in Shanghai (I think they navy did too?) so getting uniforms and gear was less of a problem there than in the Southeast. Thanks to Japanese development, Manchukuo was an industrial powerhouse and had more resources than the mainland in some ways. In terms of supply the continental units were more or less self-sufficient. The 3-d hat star is remniscent of Chicom red stars on their field caps, and IJA did not use cotton caps until very late in the war.

Mukden Depot (奉天陸軍被服支廠) would have stamp "奉支検定" so I find it unlikely that these were produced there.

Furthermore, it is very unlikely that these are from Japanese-friendly Chinese government troops or from Manchukuo, as their cap insignia was either some variant of the five-colored star or the white sun cockade.

I've scrounged Asahi Graph archives using my University's VPN and all the photographs seem to indicate that they wore Japanese-style caps made of wool with the five-colored star insignia (probably Reorganized National Government), and Manchukuo troops wore their own style of hat with five-colored star insignia or wool Japanese-type caps with the five-color star.

The strange lining, the star and the shoddy worksmanship is reminiscent of Chinese movie props. Since they were making movies since the 50's it might be of that vintage.

EDIT:
    Also I'm pretty sure that yellow star is a Chicom cap star made in yellow, the "fat" shape is not commonly used by the IJA but that shape is similar to Chicom. This sort of cap badge was used since AT LEAST the 60's and probably earlier.
    Original Chinese Army PLA Cap Badge Red Star 31888 | eBay

Examples of allied Chinese/Manchurian troops:
    Example of allied Chinese troops

Cadets of the allied Reorganization regime, June 2nd 1939 at the 兼綏靖軍官学校
    Japanese style training+webbing+cap but with Chinese style tunic and five-colored plum blossom badge

Manchurian troops with distinctive field cap, sort of a cross between the Chinese M43 type and the Japanese cap, with five color star insignia.
    Last edited by haru; 01-06-2014 at 06:57 AM.

?

I agree. These look home made. Likely movie prop caps. Not what I'd want in my collection. Now if they were a few bucks or a gift........

?

Interesting caps.

Quite like the 'Nambu' as well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3