MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Japanese Flag with Kanji

Article about: Hi, for some reason the pic came out twice, but hope you like the flag. Dave.

Hi Mads-San,

Can you please post a close-up of the flag?

Thanks
    Taka

Hi Taka,

Im still waiting for close-ups, but seller hasnt responded yet.

I really appreciate the help from all of you guys.

Cheers, Mads

Edit:

Seller has responded, he promised me better photos, but havent received them yet.
    Last edited by Shadwellarmy; 08-28-2013 at 09:10 PM.

These are what I could get, hope they help.

Japanese Flag with Kanji

Japanese Flag with Kanji

Japanese Flag with Kanji

Japanese Flag with Kanji

Cheers, Mads

Personally, I would pass on that one.

It just looks too new to me and nothing like the condition of others that I know to be genuine, including mine. The leather corners look too new, as does the rope. There are an awful lot of repro Hinomaru coming out of Japan on Fleabay.

Personally, even if it was original, I would not go for it as, to me, it has no character. Just my opinion.

Martin

Martin, I agree that it looks rather new, I also usually prefer salty pieces that've seen battle.

@Taka-San, Guy-San, Stu-San what are your opinions based upon the new photos I've posted?

Everyone else are obviously welcome to comment as well.

Cheers, Mads

The kanji didn't change ... and that's the only opinion I can offer -- I'm not a collector or expert.

--Guy

If you look at various areas on the flag under magnification, you can see the aging and slight discolorations, so it certainly is not a new flag. That, and the construction style and the materials all look as they should. This flag was signed for someone by a Very high ranking Vice Admiral, so, perhaps, the recipient kept it carefully preserved and did not wish to soil or damage such an honored piece. It was not your garden variety of soldier carried flags, but, rather was a special honor flag. He could well have had a second flag to Carry-one with the usual well wishing signatures and inscriptions, but one coming from a great man such as the Admiral, this one could very understandably have been reluctant to put it in harms way. Another possibility is that the recipient was not a front line combat soldier but was in the rear areas in an administrative position and so his flag would have never seen battlefield conditions and was taken home by him and carefully preserved at wars end. Inscribed flags were not given solely to battle destined combatants.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    If you look at various areas on the flag under magnification, you can see the aging and slight discolorations, so it certainly is not a new flag. That, and the construction style and the materials all look as they should. This flag was signed for someone by a Very high ranking Vice Admiral, so, perhaps, the recipient kept it carefully preserved and did not wish to soil or damage such an honored piece. It was not your garden variety of soldier carried flags, but, rather was a special honor flag. He could well have had a second flag to Carry-one with the usual well wishing signatures and inscriptions, but one coming from a great man such as the Admiral, this one could very understandably have been reluctant to put it in harms way. Another possibility is that the recipient was not a front line combat soldier but was in the rear areas in an administrative position and so his flag would have never seen battlefield conditions and was taken home by him and carefully preserved at wars end. Inscribed flags were not given solely to battle destined combatants.
    The above comments are well reasoned in my view. If you will recall I expressed potential red flags in three areas. The first, condition, could well be explained in the manner William suggests. The third, shape of the kanji, I will now withdraw as the new photographs lead me to agree that the kanji were brush applied. As for the second concern, well, although unlikely it's certainly not impossible as I do know of others signed by Generals/Admirals.

Now that the kanji application issue has been resolved I'm sufficiently comfortable with the flag to suggest buying it. Worst case scenario you are out $100. Nothing that will be life altering.

Regards,
    Stu

Sorry for the late response.

Your flag might have a chance, but I still can't make out the characters unfortunately. At least it looks better than the other "questionable examples".

Here is my IJN Flag (for reference) in "Mint" Condition. It' s very uncommon to see a Japanese flag with three suspensions.

It' s also made from wool.

Regards,
    Taka

?

Great flag Taka & I've never seen a three suspension example before! There must of been a reason

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast