Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Japanese flag with a lot of Kanji... Is it from an aircraft?

Article about: Hello all, I just had a quick question about this Japanese flag I acquired some time ago. The flag is silk, with the simple red circle. It is in very rough, and fragile state, as it appears

Default Japanese flag with a lot of Kanji... Is it from an aircraft?

Hello all,

I just had a quick question about this Japanese flag I acquired some time ago. The flag is silk, with the simple red circle. It is in very rough, and fragile state, as it appears to have been wadded up for many years. I have been trying to gently smooth it out for some time. Any suggestions on techniques other have used, that are non destructive?

Second and most important question, is about this marking on the top right corner (if my orientation is correct). It appears to be an airplane in a chrysanthemum. Is this a makers mark, or is this possibly from an air crewman?

I hope the pictures are passable, i will try to get better shots on a real camera asap. Thanks in advance!

Also, the picture of the entire flag is reversed for framing above. If I am correct the large Kanji are on top, and the ties are to the right, correct??

Thanks as always,
    Nathan

Can admin move to Japanese forum!? Please, thanks, and sorry!

?

Thread now moved Nathan . A very nice "been there " example , these are the ones i like to add to my collection
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Thanks Alan! I am sitting here looking up some of the Kanji, and it's near impossible to figure out. I am impressed by anyone who can pick it up!

The flag is presented with the reverse side forward. After flipping the photo:

Top:
    祈武運長久
    Ki Buun Chōkyū
    Prayers for Continued Luck in the Fortunes of War

Right margin:
    祝入營小島國造君
    Shū Nyūei Kojima Kunizō-kun
    Congratulations for Your Enlistment Mr. Kojima Kunizō
    [Kojima is the surname]

--Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese flag with a lot of Kanji... Is it from an aircraft?  

The drawing does show an aircraft superimposed over a cherry blossom. I cannot read the kanji, but perhaps Nick can since he's a native-speaker.

Edit: first two kanji are a proper noun:
    沼田
    Numada

--Guy

Guy, I cannot thank you enough! Do you have any thoughts on the second picture? Have you seen anything like it before?

I love the artwork Nathan! I have never seen a cherry blossom with an airplane superimposed over its center painted on a good luck flag. Thanks for sharing....

MichaelB

I'd rather wait for better focused and oriented photos. Like reading a letter from the reverse side of the paper, reading flipped flags is more trouble than it's worth. I don't even know whether I have to horizontally flip the plane and further turn it upside down before reading to make any sense of the blur.

Thanks Micheal! Nick, the picture of the aircraft should be properly oriented. I realize the pictures leave a bit to be desired, but my phone is the only camera I have access to at the moment. I am not sure I can get the pictures you want anyway, as the writing has blurred over time, and is difficult to make out even in person.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast