Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Japanese Flag - Phillipines

Article about: by josephc ... I dont know why the flag wouldnt be original war booty from a japanese soldier but it is what it is. Strange. Because he bought, traded, or won in a poker game from another GI

Default Japanese Flag - Phillipines

I purchased this flag from the son of a 38th infantry division serviceman. I received the flag and the 38th div book. There was a written card with the flag but the dates do not match with the actual timing of the conflict - probably just memory mix up - should be 1945 not 1943. The writing seems to be on piece of glossy photo paper; the vet is still with us so possible he wrote it. I hope to get some of the words translated by my co-worker but if anyone here can comment that wiould be great. There are some circular red stampings on the flag also. From the wording can one tell if this is Japanese soldier or marine? It does have some bug damage as does the book I received.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Flag - Phillipines   Japanese Flag - Phillipines  

Japanese Flag - Phillipines   Japanese Flag - Phillipines  

?

A thin silk Japanese Meatball flag. The "meatball" looks hand painted (the jagged outlines and general size give it away). Not sure what branch of the Armed forces it is. I will leave that to more learned individuals.

I hope I'm wrong, but it appears that the Kanji was all written by one hand. I won't lie and say I know how to read Kanji... but this flag reminds me of the flag that I own that turned out to be a Seabee fake.

Guys in the rear echelon would make up fake flags out of parachute silk... draw on random squiggles, put on fake ink stamps, etc. to sell/ trade for other Japanese items or things like booze and cigarettes.

Please take no offense... I'm only trying to help! I hope I'm wrong!!

Here is a photo of my flag:
    Japanese Flag - Phillipines

its possible and no offense; that would suck. the vet was a mortar man according to son and what is listed in wwii memorial but I dont know how his dad obtained it.
    It is very similar to the one you have - even the red stampings. may have to continue my quest for a legit flag for display.......

anyone else commenting?

?

Joe,

Ive heard of those flags being made. Even though they are not technically "legit" they still represent a piece of history. Do you still have the flag?

Regardless, it's still a neat piece.

If it is a period fake, it's cool to know that the these items were so coveted back then that they were being faked! Kind of funny that the same goes today... The more things change, the more they stay the same!

Quote by dramos View Post
    Joe,

Ive heard of those flags being made. Even though they are not technically "legit" they still represent a piece of history. Do you still have the flag?
    Sure do, Doug! My USMC mannequin has it tucked into his breast pocket... The mannequin was duped into buying/ trading for a fake! lol

?

Hahaha, nice touch! Its funny but now I sort of want to buy one!

Quote by dramos View Post
    Hahaha, nice touch! Its funny but now I sort of want to buy one!
    All it took was a piece of fabric, some red paint and a circle stencil (rumor has it they used a bucket...) and then someone creative enough to draw some black doodles.

There's a famous scene in The Pacific where a rest echelon guy approaches the marines and asks them for souvenirs... This stuff was definitely in demand!

Best of luck with your flag, Joseph!

I will show to my co-worker when he retunrs from japan this week. It may be jibberish (a new word I will have to teach him).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast