Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Japanese Flag - Phillipines

Article about: by josephc ... I dont know why the flag wouldnt be original war booty from a japanese soldier but it is what it is. Strange. Because he bought, traded, or won in a poker game from another GI

Quote by josephc View Post
    ... I dont know why the flag wouldnt be original war booty from a japanese soldier but it is what it is. Strange.
    Because he bought, traded, or won in a poker game from another GI .... who probably bought, traded, or won in a poker game .... maybe from a Seabee or other rear-echelon person out to make a buck. Perhaps during his combat time he was not able to get one and always wanted one .... then on the troop ship home he "liberated" it.

Just speculation on my part.

--Guy

--Guy

?

This sort of thing pops up from time to time in other areas. Third Reich awards were heavily reproduced in the 1960s and often purchased by vets wishing to frame some as a memento of their service. Not realizing, or perhaps not caring, they purchased these reproductions that later came to light in the hands of grandchildren wishing an evaluation only to find they are worthless. That usually results in disbelief as they recalled seeing them mounted in Grandpa's den ever since they were children. They often refuse to believe what they are told and assume the person providing the evaluation is trying to cheat them out of their valuables. I'm not suggesting that the flag was purchased in such a manner but trying to provide a somewhat parallel example.

Regards,
    Stu

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3