Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese flags for review

Article about: Hello guys, Im new to Jap flags and could use some help with these. They appear to made of a rayon type material. Are they original? If so, what prices are they going for. What should i be l

Default Japanese flags for review

Hello guys, Im new to Jap flags and could use some help with these. They appear to made of a rayon type material. Are they original? If so, what prices are they going for. What should i be looking for as far as reproductions go?

Thanks !
    Japanese flags for reviewJapanese flags for reviewJapanese flags for reviewJapanese flags for review

It is not really possible to accurately assess these flags from the distant photos. What are the measurements? And good close ups of the cloth material and the edgings? As they sit, I am more favorably impressed by the Army flag than the 1st flag, but since Japan used the same flags far past the end of the war, it is very hard to say with the photos given.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Both are civilian patriotic flag decorations to adorn streets for parades, etc. Neither are real flags ( Japan never had such square flags and the rising sun flag is also a pure civilian design, not army). They are only worth something to people who mistake them for militaria.

MAP
    ?

But still a nice item to display with other items like a helmet, cap, bayonet.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Yes, still nice for display provided you did not pay more than $10 a piece. You can get them much cheaper at a souvenir shop, if you only want something to keep your helmet company in a display.

I am afraid to say that neither of these look authentic, period pieces. Whilst rayon was one of the materials to produce such flags, I do not like the 'newness' of the appearance of these.

If you are serious, or even half serious, about sourcing the real deal then you need this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Imperial-Ja...ood+Luck+Flags

Imperial Japanese Good Luck Flags and One-Thousand Stitch Belts - $79.95 : Schiffer Publishing

Regards

Martin

MAP
    ?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I wasn't aware of that website. Thanks for the link.

Martin

Reading this would have already been sufficient protection against these The Banner of Golden Brocade