Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese flight helmet?

Article about: Hello gents, I just saw this flight helmet (belong to the Indonesian air force museum) in the exhibition in my hometown. Is this original japanese ww2 flight helmet? If so, what type this he

Question Japanese flight helmet?

Hello gents,

I just saw this flight helmet (belong to the Indonesian air force museum) in the exhibition in my hometown.
    Japanese flight helmet?Japanese flight helmet?Japanese flight helmet?Japanese flight helmet?Japanese flight helmet?Japanese flight helmet?Japanese flight helmet?Japanese flight helmet?Japanese flight helmet?Japanese flight helmet?Japanese flight helmet?Japanese flight helmet?Japanese flight helmet?
    Is this original japanese ww2 flight helmet? If so, what type this helmet is and what branch of force used it? Is it the army or navy?

Thank you.

Rod
    ?

Yes, it's a Japanese Army flight cap. It's a shame the goggles hide the front, there are likely visible stitch marks where the army star would be. Nice repurposed piece.

Rod

Lightbulb

I see, thank you for the reply and sorry for the late reply though.
    Here's the star stitch mark.
    Japanese flight helmet?Japanese flight helmet?Japanese flight helmet?

Rod
    ?

You're welcome. Yup, that's an army star. The navy had black leather flight caps and the army brown ones. The goggles are Japanese navy issue however.

Rod

Interesting, thank you.

That was the third generation flight helmet for the IJA, and production year of that example can be narrowed down to the period between August 1937 and August 1941. The upcoming story on aviation uniforms will tell you why. It should be up within 2 days.

?

Navy flight caps are mostly brown leather rather than black

Quote by Jareth View Post
    Navy flight caps are mostly brown leather rather than black
    Thank you!

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    That was the third generation flight helmet for the IJA, and production year of that example can be narrowed down to the period between August 1937 and August 1941. The upcoming story on aviation uniforms will tell you why. It should be up within 2 days.
    Quote by nick komiya View Post
    The Evolution of IJA Flight Uniforms (1910-1945) now up and pinned to top of page
    Thank you! Great read!