Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Japanese GOOD LUCK Flag.

Article about: Good morning gents, I have just placed on hold this fine looking Japanese WW2 Good Luck Flag from our forum sponsor Fortunes of War Militaria. This is not my usual area of collecting but I c

It's arrived and I am a very happy first time owner of a Japanese good luck flag! Mike has been a fantastic chap to buy from and has gone "above and beyond" to help me out with translations etc. He went to the effort of placing number stickers on the slogans and attaching a corresponding note with the translations on for me. Thanks again Mike for a top flag and service!! Leon.Japanese GOOD LUCK Flag.Japanese GOOD LUCK Flag.

Default Good Luck Flag

Thank you Leon for the kind remarks. It was a pleasure to help you find a nice flag. If you are like many of us, this will be only the beginning. Once the flag bug bites, it becomes a sickness to collect the various types. They are truly beautiful historical pieces and works of art onto themselves. Regards,

MichaelB

Quote by MichaelB View Post
    Thank you Leon for the kind remarks. It was a pleasure to help you find a nice flag. If you are like many of us, this will be only the beginning. Once the flag bug bites, it becomes a sickness to collect the various types. They are truly beautiful historical pieces and works of art onto themselves. Regards,

MichaelB
    I think you may be right Mike, but I will be getting your book first, that way I will not need to pester you with so many questions! Leon.

Translations for #1 & #4 are correct. Here are a few corrections:

殉國純忠
    Junkoku Junchū
    Dying for the Nation is Pure Loyalty
    [this is the main aphorism on the top border]

祝出征
    Shuku Shussei
    Congratulations on your Departure for War

早川次郎君
    Hayakawa Jirō-kun
    Mr. Hayakawa Jirō
    [Recipient]

#2: 赤心
    Sekishin
    Sincerity

#3: 敢闘
    Kantō
    Fight Bravely!

--Guy

The red seal is for one of the Hachiman Shrines. I can't clearly see if there is anything written in the middle, but what I can see is:

八幡神社
    Hachiman Jinja
    Hachiman Shrine

And it looks like this:
    [神*八]
    [社*幡]

--Guy

WOW! Thank you so much Guy for taking the trouble to do that for me, those are wonderful pieces of additional information , it really is most appreciated. Every little bit of information just brings the piece more to life, and to now have the recipients name is a real plus. Thanks again. Leon.

Here's a close up of the shrine seal if it helps? Thanks again for all your efforts chaps. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese GOOD LUCK Flag.  

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Here's a close up of the shrine seal if it helps? Thanks again for all your efforts chaps. Leon.
    Ahhhh! Much better. Nice seal.

八幡

神社

Hachiman
    In [official seal/stamp]
    Jinja

The way it would be read is "Hachiman Jinja [no] In". The possessive "no" is implied.

--Guy

Hachiman shrines are all over Japan; I was hoping to find your seal on an image search and be able to pinpoint where the shrine might be. Yours is a nice ancient-script version:

Unfortunately I did not find it. The only one I could find (there are probably lots more, but not on Google Image) is this one -- the top seal:

Hachiman Akita Shrine

--Guy

HI Leon-
    It's never a bother, so always feel free to ask away. Since Hachiman is the warrior god, he has been represented all over Japan for centuries. That is one of the reasons why he is admired in so many places. Great photo of the seal by the way- thanks for posting!

MichaelB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2