MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Japanese helmet

Article about: all looks good mike ,a very nice example indeed

Default Re: Japanese helmet

all looks good mike ,a very nice example indeed

Hi, ime new to this site,came across your pics of japanese helmet wih writing on the chinstrap.Was comforting to see yours has same type chinstrap as my type90 (no writing on mine) most other chinstraps seem to be of different material,being new to this it made me wonder if I had an original chin strap would appreciate any light you can shed on this. many thanks Ray

Thumbs up Re: Japanese helmet

Quote by zoot100 View Post
    Hi, ime new to this site,came across your pics of japanese helmet wih writing on the chinstrap.Was comforting to see yours has same type chinstrap as my type90 (no writing on mine) most other chinstraps seem to be of different material,being new to this it made me wonder if I had an original chin strap would appreciate any light you can shed on this. many thanks Ray
    hope this message gets through not to clever on pc

Quote by zoot100 View Post
    hi Ray. i dont have much to tell you about the helmet and its markings.Japanese stuff is SOOOOO underated and not as well covered in books etc as German and yank gear i was hoping someone on the forum could translate or knew what it meant, but as you can see, no luck. i have no doubt it is original though. i live in Manchester, not a million miles from you so you could always call in and see for youself if you are in the area. why not post a pic on the forum if you can suss it out. do not worry if you are not sure how to do this, i could not at first. but some helpful soul will guide you through or if you do ever venture over here i could talk you through it., cheers mike

Couldn't tell you what the writing says, but the helmet liner looks good, and so does the helmet. How much did you buy this for? Japanese stuff tends to be rather cheap, for example I bought a Japanese pilot's jacket for $150.

Quote by einsatzgruppen View Post
    Couldn't tell you what the writing says, but the helmet liner looks good, and so does the helmet. How much did you buy this for? Japanese stuff tends to be rather cheap, for example I bought a Japanese pilot's jacket for $150.
    hello, cannot remember what i paid for it. i bought it from a guy at beltring a good few years ago. i was told by the seller he had got it from an old vet, i believed him,but you can never be sure can you ? i do remember i was not cheap but it was worth whatever it was to me, as i dont have spare money to waste... even though jap stuff is not as collectable as other axis and allied uniforms and equipment , it still commands a good price if you buy from dealers!!!! cheers, mike

?

Quote by panelvan View Post
    can anyone tell me if this helmet is o.k. what is the writing on the chin strap. cheers
    With a little help from a friend:

Looking at the bottom left picture in the first post.
    Left hand strap, reads top to bottom, first 2 characters mean the 'emporer Showa', 3rd is number 10, 4th, number 5, last is 'year', this is the Japanese year 17 of emporer Showa's reign which is 1942.

Right hand strap, is upside down so reads bottom to top, she couldn't give me a direct translation, but it is likely a specific task or department (or even corps or regiment). The last symbol is 'check' or 'inspect'.

The problem is that Japanese characters can have mulptiple meanings, and asking people that don't have an interest in our hobby means vague answers.
    Steve.

thanks tinhat. so it could be a 1942 dated helmet then ? really gratefull for your post. cheers, mike

?

In my opinion it is a great example of an authentic WWII helmet, the date stamp not only confirms it but adds to it.
    Steve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2