Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Japanese helmet chicken wire helmet ???

Article about: Hi what are your thoughts on this helmet its being offered to me I have heard of german chicken wire helmets but japanese is this army or navy thank you for your time and help Tony

?

Default Re: Japanese helmet chicken wire helmet ???

The helmet is fine original but who knows when the wire was added & by whom? I've collected Japanese headgear etc for almost 40 yrs & I've never seen wire on a helmet until recently. In my opinion, yes it's my opinion this is an anomoly & extremely unusual. Could they have used wire? Sure maybe but there is little to no period photographic evidence. I've seen on blurry pic with what looked like bale wire & that could of been added by a cash/trade hungry Seabee. I think it's the internet influence of German collectors starting to collect Japanese! That's slightly a joke by the way. The Japanese used nets! I'd recommend beginning collectors or dablers to buy a helmet with a net. Try & post net pics first as there are many repro nets out there. A "wire" Japanese helmet would keep me up at night. Go textbook until your at least certain about what your buying.

Chicken wire has a rust resistant zinc coating that would blacken after nearly 70 years. A beat up genuine shell that someone played with to make it a collectable.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Also the wire has that silverish colour where it has been bent and folded which tends to point to a recent addition. I could be very wrong but that's how I see it.

All the best
    Dave

My first sight impression of this helmet is that the wire looks shiny and glossy and after 70 years of aging and weathering (70 Hard years that put this Helmet Itself into such a sad state) this wire Should show significant dry patina to match the condition of the helmet. I definitely do not like this set up and would not pay anything for this shell above that of a semi-relic that has likely been tampered with.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

It seems to me there once was chicken wire fitted on this helmet.
    It looks like there are some damages/colorations in the paint.
    It could be possible someone later reapplied new wire.

Quote by stekker View Post
    It seems to me there once was chicken wire fitted on this helmet.
    It looks like there are some damages/colorations in the paint.
    It could be possible someone later reapplied new wire.
    I have an old saying I live by in collecting. When an item needs too many explanations why it is the way it is, forget about buying it.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Yes Bob, you're right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2