Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese helmet, complete and period painted flat black

Article about: Just a note...beware of styrofoam heads....the chemicals they use are not too healthy for hats and head gear over time. Glass heads are generally best.

?

Default Japanese helmet, complete and period painted flat black

Hey everyone, i just picked up my first Japanese piece. This is a combat helmet, complete and period painted flat black. There are 3 stampings next to the painted symbol ( i presume the soldiers name) on the inside of the helmet. Looks like a diamond with an 8 in the middle, then a triangle, then a circle(?????). I know that Japanese combat helmets were painted and OD shade...... any ideas as to why this one is black? I am not that familiar with Japanese items....... any thoughts would be great !!!!! Thanks!!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese helmet, complete and period painted flat black   Japanese helmet, complete and period painted flat black  

Japanese helmet, complete and period painted flat black   Japanese helmet, complete and period painted flat black  

Japanese helmet, complete and period painted flat black   Japanese helmet, complete and period painted flat black  

Default Re: Japanese helmet, complete and period painted flat black

Hi Josh,

Great looking helmet! The liner certainly looks complete... is it in good shape? Japanese pig skin liners have a tendency of drying out and becoming REALLY fragile.

As I told you before, I'm assuming your helmet saw use as a "night raider" helmet. With American forces dominating battlefields and having immense air superiority, Japanese forces were often restricted to fighting out of spider holes and conducting harassing night operations. A black painted helmet makes sense.... if I was a Japanese soldier, I'd want one!

?

Thanks Joe, I also found that...... other than that, I can't find anything on flat black painted IJA combat helmets.... the liner is intact and still pliable. It is a really nice piece!

If you dare look, I've heard of Japanese prayer cards, personal photos, letters, etc. being tucked away in the pockets of the liner pads...

P.S. I like the foam head you're using... it's a lot better than the girly one I have under my East German lid.

?

Just looked, the only thing in the pockets is the stuffing, lol !!!!

?

Come on guys .............. nothing on this helmet?

?

Hello ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????

?

Hi Josh , i must say i really like your helmet , the insignia looks nice and i like the fact that you can see the original paint colour not only to the helmet inner side but also through the scratches and scrapes on the external . These black painted helmets come up every now and then and there is plenty of speculation about it but no one really has a definitive answer on the reason for it .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

I used to have one of these. Unfortunately, I let it go. I saw it sell on E-bay recently. It was supposedly found on Saipan, which was the site of a huge night attack. I think night camo makes perfect sense, but some experts disagree. No one knows, it seems.

Actually, that was me that posted my helmet on the Axis forum link given here. I had forgotten about that. Haven't been on that forum since.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast