Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese helmet help needed

Article about: Hi folks, I found this helmet on a bid board. It is marked with the Kobe Seiko symbol and the Kanji figure for large. It looks like a refurbished helmet and is listed as Thai police. But it

Default Japanese helmet help needed

Hi folks, I found this helmet on a bid board. It is marked with the Kobe Seiko symbol and the Kanji figure for large. It looks like a refurbished helmet and is listed as Thai police. But it has a leather liner and a star rather than the Thai crest. Any thoughts on this thing?
    NH
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese helmet help needed   Japanese helmet help needed  

?

Default Re: Japanese helmet help needed

Looks to me like a type 90 but with a later fitted liner, I like it, all depends on the price as these are not cheap

A lot of these were used by Thailand after the war. It looks like a good helmet to me, but maybe it has been refurbished.

Corey

Yes, it is clearly a refitted helmet. The liner puzzles me. It is similar to the war time Japanese style but not quite correct. Maybe a custom job?

?

The liner looks like a repro to me original shell har been repainted dont think it is thailand reissue

?

Neil,Here is my helmet. If you want to come over and see it,call me. Rich A. in Pa.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese helmet help needed   Japanese helmet help needed  

1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

?

Hi Neil , I'd say it is what it was listed as , a Thai re issue that was never used and ended up as surplus again . As you say the liner has a similar design to the Japanese type 90 but is not of the correct materials

- - Updated - -

Smashing helmet Rich
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Rich, Thanks for the offer. I have an original helmet for comparison - two photos here. The shell of the one at auction is original but the liner is very strange. I think it is a custom repro. What do you think the auction helmet is worth? You probably know the auction site since you are so close by. Neil

Attachment 402521Attachment 402522

?

Alan,Thanks.
    Neil,I have not been to Merchants Square in years. To me it is not worth much. It is not a good original helmet. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Rich, I agree, it is not that good looking. I think the shell is period but the rest of it is not correct. It might make a good re-enactment helmet though. But at $60 now (could go higher) it would be better to purchase a new repro. The good WWII material at KD Smith is few and far between these days. NH