Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Japanese helmet, machine gun damage, japanese text inside cloth cover, translation?

Article about: Conclusion following Translation I am very happy! The information provided by you forum experts is consistent with the translation’s I have obtained via Elance and some positive identificati

Smile Re: Japanese helmet, machine gun damage, japanese text inside cloth cover, translation?

Hi Tom

Thank you very much for the new information. I know the Kobe steel company because I worked for an Australian steel company called BHP (they are now an Iron ore miner called BHPBilliton) in the 1990's. We built a AUD $110 million continuous steel casting machine that was bought from Kobe steel so that's very interesting to me.

I have photographed 3 coins that look Japanese and quite different from the other coins that came back with my grandfather. Maybe they came out of the belt. Also I have included pics showing coin sized torn areas in the belt, and other pics of the kanji female name (that runs over both sides of the belt), and of a small mark that may also be kanji. This may be of interest to you with your interest in these belts.

Are you a collector, and if so what do you collect? and how did you learn all of this stuff?

I am basically concluding that the helmet is IJN in origin and am very happy for all the expert contributions I have received.

Best regards, Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese helmet, machine gun damage, japanese text inside cloth cover, translation?   Japanese helmet, machine gun damage, japanese text inside cloth cover, translation?  

Japanese helmet, machine gun damage, japanese text inside cloth cover, translation?   Japanese helmet, machine gun damage, japanese text inside cloth cover, translation?  

Japanese helmet, machine gun damage, japanese text inside cloth cover, translation?   Japanese helmet, machine gun damage, japanese text inside cloth cover, translation?  

?

Default Re: Japanese helmet, machine gun damage, japanese text inside cloth cover, translation?

The coin in the middle is a Japanese 5 sen coin. I do not know about the other two coins but I do not believe they are Japanese. I could not tell you about whether coins were in the belt or not and whether the 5 sen coin was inside the belt and later taken out. It is certainly possible. From what I recall, the symbolism of using a 5 sen coin in a senninbari was connected to the Japanese word for "death", which is "shi", also the sound for the number 4. So long story short, 5 overcame 4, thus overcoming death--5 sen coin sewn into the belt to protect the wearer from death. A 10 sen coin was also used to overcome 9, but I could not tell you the sound/word connection for that, certainly something unpleasant that needed to be remedied. As to the name, I cannot make out the entire name of the person, but it looks like the last two kanji are "miko", which points to a female loved one creating/presenting the belt.

I do collect and mainly focus on IJA/IJN paperwork: ID booklets, etc. There was a time when I focused on unusual senninbari and still have a few in my collection. As to picking up the info., it is still very much a work in progress. I was fortunate to have spent a few years in Japan and formed a foundation from studying Japanese which I continue to build upon. I also pick up relevent reference books when I can and soak up information from other collectors. I am happy to have helped with your questions. Again, great pieces of history, especially with their connection to your grandfather.

Tom

Default Re: Japanese helmet, machine gun damage, japanese text inside cloth cover, translation?

The two coins on either side with square holes are Chinese
    and are antiques - more that 100 years old.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Dear All

Thanks so much to you all. I am very happy with what I have learnt. Best regards, Paul.

?

Hi Paul , it`s a rarity to see a battle field bringback Japanese type 90 helmet with matching cover and liner intact , treasure it , i think it`s super
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

I bought a Japanese helmet a month or so ago. I am 99% convinced it is a civil defense type (not Type 90). Anyway, it has kanji on the front and back. I took the lazy path and emailed the eBay photos of it to a man who translates Japanese. Alas, the characters were merely the helmet owner's name with a '63' after them. But it was a $20.00 fee that satisfied my curiosity.

Hello Jack

Thanks for that. Can you pass on the email address of the translator you used?

Also, if you have time, would you post a picture of your civil defense helmet?

Best regards, Paul

?

The only data I saved was Richard T at Elance.com. I hired him through that service. (Very fast and $20.00.) Re photos, one day I have to get my wife to teach me how to use our electronic camera and then how to post. Yes, I am a dinosaur.

Smile Re: Japanese helmet, machine gun damage, japanese text inside cloth cover, translation?

Cheers Jack

Hi All

A young lady in the USA is giving me a translation of the kanji. I'll post it up when its complete. I found her on elance.

Paul

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast