Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Helmet - Two for ID + GasMask

Article about: Gents. I've no clue about Japanese Helmets. What I know is that neither of these should be War. But maybe Civil Defense. NOW > Here is the problem. I received both from Japan (same friend

Default Japanese Helmet - Two for ID + GasMask

Gents.
    I've no clue about Japanese Helmets. What I know is that neither of these should be War. But maybe Civil Defense.
    NOW > Here is the problem. I received both from Japan (same friend - not japanese).
    One is Rounded from the top, and the other is more Long.
    Could you PLEASE PLEASE Give me some information? I want to keep one of them and sell the other (I have 2 gas masks both the same to pair with my display)
    Which one should I keep? Why? Any price ranges to guide me, including the gas mask?

HELMET #1

Japanese Helmet - Two for ID + GasMaskJapanese Helmet - Two for ID + GasMaskJapanese Helmet - Two for ID + GasMaskJapanese Helmet - Two for ID + GasMaskJapanese Helmet - Two for ID + GasMask
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HELMET #2

Japanese Helmet - Two for ID + GasMaskJapanese Helmet - Two for ID + GasMask
    Japanese Helmet - Two for ID + GasMaskJapanese Helmet - Two for ID + GasMaskJapanese Helmet - Two for ID + GasMask

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by diazcalvi; 06-04-2014 at 10:52 PM.

Default Gas Mask

Gas Mask Detail . Very fragile
    Japanese Helmet - Two for ID + GasMaskJapanese Helmet - Two for ID + GasMask

Hello, these are indeed Japanese wartime civil defence items. Its difficult to work out which helmet is which in some of the pictures but they do indeed seem to be civil defence types. I cant help with specific values but the value of these is not high, especially as the condition of the helmets is not very good and the liners are missing or incomplete. The gas mask looks to be in better condition and should be quiet easy to sell, but it does depend how fragile it is. The helmet with the partial liner is certainly the best one and the one I would keep.

Thanks. If you look closely I tagged the first helmet (HELMET #1 more rounded), first 5 pics, and then there is a tag HELMET #2 that starts with a detail of the interior. Lets see If I can edit it back. Thanks BTW.

GAS MASK 1 - The mask is very fragile but complete, I mean the leather on the straps I cut in 2-3 places, I can glue it back but I will not do that (now I'm using a non-invasive tape)

GAS MASK 2 - Horrible state. No straps. Apparently that was the problem with these. BUT! It has a bag. I could sell one or the other depending on what couples better.

PS: Why are so different? Just late war maybe? For me, on my imagination, the elonged (Not round/bell) helmet is more typical of what I would expect from a Japanese helmet. .Could you PM me some price ranges to sell it in the US (couple with one gas mask maybe?). As a collector I might just keep them if they are different but doesnt make any sense to have two civil defense.

PS2: I was happy enough that came from Japan, and I didnt buy a Swedish or repro. ... I got that going for me...

Hi,

I agree with Douglas-san. They are civil defense helmets, and gas masks.

Here is my Imperial Japanese Army Type 90 helmet for your reference.

IJA Type 90 Helmet

Hope that helps.

Regards,
    Taka

Rod
    ?

Taka,

That's a beautiful Type 90 helmet, great to see! Thanks.

Re the civil helmets and gas masks. These pieces are interesting collectibles and worthy of preservation. The better condition gas mask and the bag might make an interesting set for display.

Civil Japanese wartime collecting is an interesting sub-genre that has many facets and can still be done on a slender budget. To me these items are more about the story than anything else. Thanks for posting.

Best, Rod

Thanks both. Yes, that's the reason I collect. History. And I'm sure you've been there, trying to cover much as you can with limited budget.
    Beautiful helmet the one you shared Shindenkai.