Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese knife ??

Article about: This knife was in a WWII foot locker. 8" blade, 12" overall length. I could not find anything quite like it on the web. Can anyone shed some light as to what I have here? I'm not s

Default Japanese knife ??

This knife was in a WWII foot locker. 8" blade, 12" overall length. I could not find anything quite like it on the web. Can anyone shed some light as to what I have here? I'm not sure if it's military or civillian but it was a vet bring back.

Thanks for your opinions

Burt
    Japanese knife ??Japanese knife ??Japanese knife ??Japanese knife ??Japanese knife ??Japanese knife ??Japanese knife ??

Default Re: Japanese knife ??

Anyone? Bob Coleman?

Hi Burt-
    3-1/2 hours is a little short in time for a response. The piece is Japanese. The handle has top and bottom iron fittings that date from the late Edo Period. The handle was evidently rewrapped in war time. The handle ornaments or menuki are not present. This is a civilian piece converted for military use. I can not tell much about the blade without close up pictures of both the blade and the tang.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks Bob, I'll get some more pictures of the blade in the morning. I start early, 5:30 Am Pacific.

Burt

Whatever it is, I Like it. Probably a family piece that was sent off to war with Junior-moto and lost to the Allies. I wonder where the Katana is that likely went with it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

cool little knife burt.
    andrew

Here are some more pictures Bob. Please let me know if you need any more.

Thanks

Burt

Japanese knife ??Japanese knife ??Japanese knife ??Japanese knife ??Japanese knife ??Japanese knife ??Japanese knife ??Japanese knife ??Japanese knife ??Japanese knife ??Some

The blade is made in a shape known as shobuzukuri, which is found in wakizashi only. From your pictures of the tang, it is evident that this blade was originally wakizashi length and has been cut down to it's current size. That is why there is no patina on the tang. The blade was likely damaged possibly in fire loosing part of it's temper. In feudal Japan, wakizashi and tanto were allowed to be carried by anyone. Katana wereallowed only to the samurai class. An interesting military relic as mounted but it does not have value to a Japanese blade collector.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thank you Bob,

It will make a nice display piece with a bit of a story also. Was hoping for something a bit more rare but I still like it. I appreciate the time you spent researching this.

Burt