Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Japanese Kyo Gunto sword

Article about: Hello people, First off, sorry this is I the Third Reich section but there isn't a Japanese section. I have friend that has a Japanese Army Kyo Gunto sword. Does anyone know the value on the

MAP
    ?

Lockley,

We should wait for some of the members who know much more about these but in the meantime, until they show up I'll piggy back off of Avenger here.

Check this website out. Should give you a bit more color. The sword while different in some minor aspects (mainly engraving of the handle), is identified as a WWII Japanese Army Officer parade sword issued to officers in the Police department. I would assume that the police were part of the military? Either way, nice sword that appears to be in nice condition.

WWII JAPANESE MILITARY ANTIQUES PRICE GUIDE - MilitaryItems.com

But I digress....lets wait for some experts........

BTW....Nice General Lee....now all you need is a General Grant.......but don't think he would be welcome in Raleigh

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Army parade sword in my opinion. Have a look here ...

JAPANESE MILITARY SWORDS II

Regards,
    Stu

?

Thats an army parade dress sword , not police.

?

From Dr. Richard Stein's site The Japanese Sword Guide.
    Japanese Kyo Gunto sword

Wow. Thanks for the information guys. MAP, I love that website, I have used it before. I am glad to know someone else uses it too. Stu, I didn't even think that the flower would be an indicator as to wether it is Army or Police.

Hey guys, this may sound like a stupid question but I don't know the answer. But would these dress swords have been carried out into battle?

Rod
    ?

Quote by Lockley16 View Post
    Hey guys, this may sound like a stupid question but I don't know the answer. But would these dress swords have been carried out into battle?
    Hi Lockley,

These swords are entirely unsuitable for battle. The blades are thin and always dull, that is without an edge although sometimes found with an optional acid etched (fake) temper line. Their function was entirely formal decoration for parade and fancy dress events.

Best, Rod

Thanks Rod, I was just curious. This particular sword still has that acid etched line.

So here is the million dollar question, what is it worth?

?

Quote by Lockley16 View Post
    So here is the million dollar question, what is it worth?
    From what I have seen of the pricing structure recently 250-400 USD depending upon condition and to get the 400 it would have to be very fine indeed. From what I see these Parade sabres go for much less than an Army or Navy Kyu-gunto.

Regards,
    Stu

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast