Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese Nambu Pistol Belt and Pouch

Article about: Hi all. I picked this up with some other bits and think I have correctly identified it as a Nambu pistol belt and pouch. I know that the Nambu was in service for many years, but is there a w

Default Japanese Nambu Pistol Belt and Pouch

Hi all. I picked this up with some other bits and think I have correctly identified it as a Nambu pistol belt and pouch. I know that the Nambu was in service for many years, but is there a way to date the belt? It has no markings apart from what looks like a small ink stamp inside the pouch lid. I haven't really seen much Japanese militaria in Britain so any comments would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Nambu Pistol Belt and Pouch   Japanese Nambu Pistol Belt and Pouch  

The stamp is not clear to me and looks like it could be either

Kyō
    Abbreviation for Kyōto

or

Abbreviation for Tokyo

I'm not a collector or aficianado ... so I don't know if leather gear was made at either location.

--Guy

Hmmmmm .... how does the leather feel/smell to you -- any verdigris around the brass? It appears solely from the photograph that the leather is artifically distressed. Of course I could be wrong ... however, WW2 field equipment is being reproduced in China for the reenactor market.

--Guy

MAP
    ?

Good condition Japanese leather items are very hard to find. Can't say if this is authentic or not but as Guy notes, these (especially ammo pouches) are heavily reproduced. Just do a quick google.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks for the comments guys. I can see what you mean by the photo making it look artificially distressed Guy. if the weather plays ball today I will try and get some better photos in natural light. From my experience with military leather items in general I would say that it "smells" and "feels" correct, but I don't know how long these have been reproduced for so I could be wrong. Cheers.

Here are some more photos in natural light without the flash. As you can see, the leather is quite a bit darker than the initial photos with flash made out. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Nambu Pistol Belt and Pouch   Japanese Nambu Pistol Belt and Pouch  

Japanese Nambu Pistol Belt and Pouch   Japanese Nambu Pistol Belt and Pouch  

Japanese Nambu Pistol Belt and Pouch   Japanese Nambu Pistol Belt and Pouch  

I collect Japanese items and I am suspicious of this one, but not certain. There does seem to be an increasing problem with artifically aged Japanese leatherwork on the collectors market (I have this item for example Japanese Ammo Pouch which I eventually concluded was probably fake, though opinion was divided between the two different forums) and I think this could be one of these, but I dont have an original set to compare it to, so I'm just going on my experience of wartime Japanese leather items in general. Certainly this would be an expensive set if genuine. There are others here who should be able to tell you more clearly, and I have also found a good response to Japanese items on the Wehrmacht Awards Forum.

Thanks for that Douglas. I may try over on the WAF as well, just to get further opinions. These appear to be a minefield that as I don't particularly collect such things I have not encountered before. My opinion is divided on it. My problem is that I can't find any genuine examples on the internet to compare it to.

I notice that someone said on your WAF post that if the leather smells of leather then it is new. Do you have any experience of this as in my experience with leather items, they all seem to smell of leather, regardless of age?

Rod
    ?

Here's a couple of pics of period original pistol belt buckles, both the leather and rubberized ones. Note in both cases the end of the belt goes past the buckle and is then stitched down, that seems to be a standard feature.

Rod

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Thanks for that Douglas. I may try over on the WAF as well, just to get further opinions. These appear to be a minefield that as I don't particularly collect such things I have not encountered before. My opinion is divided on it. My problem is that I can't find any genuine examples on the internet to compare it to.

I notice that someone said on your WAF post that if the leather smells of leather then it is new. Do you have any experience of this as in my experience with leather items, they all seem to smell of leather, regardless of age?
    Its an interesting point, I have just done some leather 'smell tests' and the old leather dosnt really smell much of leather but has a slight smell of grease and polish. Newer items have a much more distinct leather smell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast