Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese Naval Battle Flag

Article about: Hey everybody, I recently purchased this 24 X 38 inch Japanese naval rising sun flag. I'm sure that I overpaid. I am curious if anyone out there knows , well, first, if this is an authentic

Default Japanese Naval Battle Flag

Hey everybody,

I recently purchased this 24 X 38 inch Japanese naval rising sun flag. I'm sure that I overpaid.

I am curious if anyone out there knows , well, first, if this is an authentic WW2 flag, and second, how and when would a flag of this type and size been used or flown?

Would this have flown on a vessel? or been carried by naval landing forces? Flown from a building?

Anyone knowledgable about Japanese flags and their use?

Thanks for any input.

Cordially,

Steve

Attachment 678814Attachment 678815Attachment 678816Attachment 678817Attachment 678818Attachment 678819Attachment 678820

Looks good on my end overall. Don't think you over-paid for this one. They are a expensive flag to get. The smaller type navy flags are difficult to find and a lot of people like them b/c they are easier to show. Hard to tell what type of vessel it may have been on. The hoist side rising sun is a navy flag. The stitching on this multi-construction type flag looks good and ties look good. Nice piece!
    Last edited by Charlie1; 04-21-2014 at 12:50 AM.

?

I agree , a very nice flag ! How much did you give for it Steve ?
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

I'm a little bit embarrassed to say for fear of being branded as a fool, which I'm sure is not inaccurate.

I paid $800.

A flag this size was likely flown from a small harbor vessel. You did step up to the plate on buying this flag. However, they are not common on the market place so buy it now or wait 20 years to find another one. Enjoy it and do not worry about what you paid.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Quote by Stevecru View Post
    I'm a little bit embarrassed to say for fear of being branded as a fool, which I'm sure is not inaccurate.

I paid $800.
    An item is only worth as much as YOU are willing to pay. Never collect for other people, collect for your own historical interest.

You did good. I have an empty space in my collection where this Japanese flag would fit just perfectly.

?

I think the smaller flags are more desirable because they can be easily displayed as compared to those huge battleship flags. In my opinion you did pay tomorrows price today

Yes, I know I paid a lot. I'm also going to have it professionally framed which will be another $500 - $600 added on top.

When I was a kid I collected punk rock records from the 1970s and 80s that I have been selling off for 100s of times more than I paid for them, and I've been using the money to buy militaria, mostly flags.

If I really want something... Ill overpay to get it too. It will look great framed and hanging on your wall.

?

Nice flag even if you did overpay.

Before you proceed with framing it may benefit you to learn a bit about what is required and what you will get for your stated amount. For example, how much of the top horizontal will be stitched? How much of the vertical? Thread type? Spacing based on flag content? Is it cotton, hemp, Rayon or silk? Unbleached muslin cloth over acid free backboard? Shallow or deep spacers and mat type? Glass grade?

Not meaning to baffle you but these are questions you will want to address with the framer. If you are uncertain about any aspects ask for assistance.

Regards,
    Stu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast