Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Naval Battle Flag

Article about: I picked up a Japanese Naval Battle Flag at an estate sale over the weekend. Flag is old and looks the part, but is marked, "P.Q.M.D" (Philadelphia Quartermaster Depot). I purchase

DODGEWC26
    ?

Default Japanese Naval Battle Flag

I picked up a Japanese Naval Battle Flag at an estate sale over the weekend. Flag is old and looks the part, but is marked, "P.Q.M.D" (Philadelphia Quartermaster Depot). I purchased it regardless, but was wondering if anybody knew if these particular 6'x9' flags were exported by P.Q.M.D. before the war or do I have a post war reproduction? Thanks in advance, Ron.

Ships around the World usually carried several foreign flags for use when in ports for ceremonies, etc. People are often shocked, for example, to see USN marked German Battle Flags...

I should add that this was for Pre-war, of course...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I'm not a member of WorthPoint, but I found a similar description:
    THIS IS A OLD VINTAGE 6x9 ft P.Q.M.D. JAPAN NATIONAL FLAG AND IT IS FROM THE ESTATE OF A RETIRED MILITARY GENTALMAN WHO SPENT ABOUT 40 YEARS IN THE ARMY FROM WWII YHIS FLAG HAS A FEW SMALL HOLES THE INK STAMP IS AMERICAN AND SAYS P.Q.M.D. MFG. DIV. FLAG NAT'L. JAPAN 6'x9'
    And another find:
    ...Many of the flags and colors made by these artists require a skill of the highest order. Such flags as the one for the President of the United States, those for Cabinet members, certain foreign countries, and the regimental colors with their intricate and individually adopted coats of arms, scrolls, crests, and other details demand the most painstaking effort on the part of the embroiders of the Depot Factory....
    source

--Guy

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Ships around the World usually carried several foreign flags for use when in ports for ceremonies, etc. People are often shocked, for example, to see USN marked German Battle Flags...
    Huh! I didn't know that.

--Guy