Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

japanese Naval Helmet ?

Article about: Hi! I just purchased this helmet at an Estate Sale down the road. I was told it was from WW1 although I think WW2 is more likely. I still thought it was a great helmet though and was given a

Default japanese Naval Helmet ?

Hi! I just purchased this helmet at an Estate Sale down the road. I was told it was from WW1 although I think WW2 is more likely. I still thought it was a great helmet though and was given a great deal. I found a little information on the helmet, but I'm still not exactly sure what it is or the year(s) the helmet would have been in use.

I also havent been able to find any additional obvious markings on the helmet aside from the yellow anchor - which is painted on. There appears to be a small number 6, a small triangle, and perhaps a faint symbol on the "rear" inside of the helmet. I was told it was in a barn for over 50 years, so perhaps if I clean it off a bit some markings will appear....

Can anyone offer me any information on this helmet? I'll try to get a few more pictures uploaded!

Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture japanese Naval Helmet ?   japanese Naval Helmet ?  

japanese Naval Helmet ?   japanese Naval Helmet ?  

japanese Naval Helmet ?  

?

Default Re: Japanese Naval Helmet?

Please don't clean it!

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Its a good original IJN helmet with a decent painted anchor and good liner, whatever you do dont clean it

Agreed - leave it be. A very nice Japanese helmet.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Default Re: japanese Naval Helmet ?

Although the interior pictures are blurry, I believe I see Kobe Seikō manufacture mark and large size mark (Dai 大) in the shell. Liner pads will not be ink marked on the underside in a naval helmet.

As previously stated, I would leave it be and not clean it.

Didn't touch it. I'll get some better pictures up - I took these with my phone.

I did carefully look under the liner pads earlier today and you're right, nothing. While I was doing some research, I read that the year and/or kanji markings are stamped on the liner on some japanese helmets. I also read that this is more common in steel helmets from the late World War II era (gotta love the internet). My curiousity got the best of me and I had to look!

Would this be a Type-90 helmet?

Thanks for the help with my first helmet! Can't wait to add a few more.

?

It is a late war Type 90 Navy helmet. Army pads are ink marked and dated, navy is not. Nice find , especially at a reasonable price.

It is, indeed, a type 90 Japanese navy helmet-and a beauty of one at that! Always have to love the barn finds! Nice pick up!(and worth a nice value too!)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I wish I knew how the helmet made it to a farm in MN. Looking around the estate sale, I noticed a lot of airplane models and art. My guess is that the previous owner was a pilot in WWII and came home with it. I almost felt a little bad walking away with the helmet for $35.

Any recommendations on how to display the helmet yet keep it in the same condition? Right now I have it in a large glass display shelf in the living room (I have to find a few more....it's looking kind of empty!). I was thinking of getting a helmet display case or stand.

Also, any idea how much this helmet might be worth? I've ran across a few while doing some research, but nothing consistent.

Thanks again for the information! Definitely my new obsession.

Nice helmet and at a steal! I don't think that Renaissance Wax would hurt it. I preserve a lot of my helmets with it and never a problem. Ikea has some cool glass cabinets for around $70. DETOLF Glass-door cabinet - beech effect - IKEA
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture japanese Naval Helmet ?  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast