Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Japanese Navy Canteen

Article about: Have had this one lying around for a many years. Pulled it out today as I'm slowly (very slowly) starting to photograph everything I have. From what I understand, it is the officers model bu

?

It is about perception. I don't disagree or doubt Nick's historical assessment. Within the next few days I've been inspired to photograph & post my navy canteens.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Jareth View Post
    It is about perception. I don't disagree or doubt Nick's historical assessment. Within the next few days I've been inspired to photograph & post my navy canteens.
    Better yet Jareth, bring them over to my house!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Michael I am not trying to high jack your thread I thought I would show another naval canteen. My pictures are no where the quality as yours. I was given to me by Micky Finn of the PT130.
    Marty
    Attached Images Attached Images Japanese Navy Canteen 
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

Marty,

Post away. Anyone else to.

BTW...when I pulled mine out I did a forum search before posting, I found your original thread with references to Micky Flynn

I will note, that the construction of my cover is different than all the others I have seen. The re-enforcement loops on the canteen to hold the straps on yours and others I've seen are pointed. Mine are square. And the cap on mine is black. Not sure what that means.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

They can be found with black or olive drab painted caps as well as unpainted and gold anodized. My opinion is they're just manufacturers differences. I'll post pics tomorrow

Hey Marty,Thanks for posting the pics of your canteen,It gives me an idea about what the appearance of mine would have looked like before the censure or deliberate defacing.

Regards,Geoff

I know how terrible it is to have to read the auto-translations, so I will quote Wikipedia and give you a proper translation on those excerpts below that explain the reality of the NLF.

海軍内で陸戦隊はあくまで二義的な任務として捉えられ、一般的な海軍士官にとって根拠地隊などの常設的性格 の陸戦隊への配置は左遷に近い扱いであった。

“Within the Navy, the Rikusentai (NLF) role was only seen as a supportive one, and for a typical Naval officer to be transferred to permanent land-based NLF postings such as the SNLF virtually meant demotion”

ただし、若くて健康な現役兵や志願兵は艦船や航空隊に優先配分されたため、特別陸戦隊配属は予備役など高齢 者や身体能力に劣る者が中心で、人員の素質の面では優れているとは言えない。例えば、日中戦争中に編成され て太平洋戦争でもアンボンの戦いなどに参加した呉第一特別陸戦隊の場合、年齢37歳の大正12年徴兵者まで 混じっていた[4]。ラビの戦いに参加した特別陸戦隊も30歳以上の老兵が多かった。

“However, young and healthy fresh recruits as well as volunteers were assigned with priority to ships and air units, so assignments to the Special Naval Landing Forces were older reservists and those with inferior physical capability. Thus they could not be called superior troops in terms of personnel quality. For instance, the Kure First Special Landing Forces, formed during the Sino-Japan War and actively involved in the Battle of Ambon during the Pacific War even included a 37 year old recruit from the class of 1923, and the SNLF that took part in the Battle of Milne Bay were also old men above 30 years of age.”

That was the reality, and if they had succeeded in winning such respect from their opponents, they were old hands that still could teach youngsters a lesson or two and deserve respect for that. They were far from being elite troops, but still performed like one.

Service in the Navy was one year longer than in the Army, so if you ended up being infantry in the NLF you must have really felt left holding the short end of the stick.

Wiki language buttons are not translation buttons. I read Wiki in Japanese, English and German, because the contents are most of the time totally different. Basically to get a true insider's take on things, you have to read the source language version. English versions of Wiki on Japanese military topics tend to be extremely poor and full of mistakes, as they come from the English reference books.

Quote by MAP View Post
    That is a nice one Geoff. I don't mind the "censoring". It's all part of the history of the items.

Also, I think I'm at point where you note "you can't keep everything". First I had to kick my son out of his room and now I've just started taking over one of closets

Attachment 1033090

Attachment 1033092Attachment 1033091
    That's a Museum Michael and many folk would pay to spend hours looking through all that amazing history,kinda a get rich scheme,dedication Bud,not to mention the poor delivery drivers.!

MAP
    ?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    That's a Museum Michael and many folk would pay to spend hours looking through all that amazing history,kinda a get rich scheme,dedication Bud,not to mention the poor delivery drivers.!
    Thanks Jake. One day I will have to move it all out when my boys refuse to share a room...no idea what I will do then

It's in great condition 😊

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast