Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Navy Sword ??

Article about: Hello What are your thoughts on this Sword? The sword has a chrome like finish not the typical brass. No markings anywhere Thank you for your help Tony

?

Default Japanese Navy Sword ??

Hello
    What are your thoughts on this Sword?
    The sword has a chrome like finish not the typical brass.
    No markings anywhere
    Thank you for your help
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Navy Sword ??   Japanese Navy Sword ??  

Japanese Navy Sword ??   Japanese Navy Sword ??  

Japanese Navy Sword ??   Japanese Navy Sword ??  

Definitely not navy. They had a ray or shark skin covered scabbard. An early pattern of the army officer sword
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Tony,

This could be something QUITE interesting!!! Both Dawson and Fuller show this guard pattern as Army Parade Sabre, 1886 model.

The INTERESTING thing, (to me, and I'm highly NOT qualified to speak on parade sabres!!!) is the Kiku (chrysanthemum) on the backstrap. While this is commonly found on rifles, as I understand, it is only found on sabres of members of the Imperial Household. Fuller & Gregory, pg 156, speaks of the 14 petal, with star in the center as a "Ura Kiku" and was used after 1869 for royal princes to avoid being confused with the Emperor's 16 pedal Juroku yaekiku.

The wear on yours seems to show that it was silver gilded over the original brass. So this COULD have been a company grade officer in the service of a Royal Prince?

?

Hello Bruce & Bob
    Thank you for all this information.
    Very interesting to learn all of this.
    Thanks again
    Tony

Interesting piece! I have never seen an Army piece like this that is silver plated before.The applique mum and hand enhancing in my opinion indicates something special and a habaki is generally not a feature found on Army parade swords.Thank you for sharing! Could we please see some photos of the pommel end? Normally they are peened over.Are there any enhancements or engravings on the pommel end cap? Regards,Geoff

?

Default pictures

Hello
    here are some more pictures
    thanks again for all of your help and info
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Navy Sword ??   Japanese Navy Sword ??  

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    ...the 14 petal, with star in the center as a "Ura Kiku" and was used after 1869 for royal princes to avoid being confused with the Emperor's 16 pedal Juroku yaekiku....

Okay, now I understand! Kiku as seen from the under-side -- 裏菊 ura-kiku!

--Guy