Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese officers seal

Article about: Hi, my most recent purchase is something of a rarity in my books, I've never seen one of these for sale before so I had to buy it. Not much is known about it unfortunately, not where it was

Default Japanese officers seal

Hi,

my most recent purchase is something of a rarity in my books, I've never seen one of these for sale before so I had to buy it.

Not much is known about it unfortunately, not where it was taken from or when etc
    All I know is that it is a Japanese officers seal, the paper and wax are also original.
    I know nothing about these kinds of things so any information would be much appreciated. The shape of the seal is a gourd (Hyōtan)

The pics-

Cheers-
    Darren

Default Re: Japanese officers seal

I have NEVER seen a Japanese/Chinese seal used for wax!! This is a first for me. At first I thought it was a "flaming bomb" ... but you're right, it is hyotan.

Interesting!

--Guy

?

Interesting item Darren , i've never seen one either !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Very unique find im sure it has some value !!

?

Hello Darren,

With respect, I take a different view. Perhaps this item was owned by an IJA Officer but I doubt that it was military issue. It was common world wide, in the first half of the 18th century and in fact for several before that, to use wax as a sealant. Stamps in the shape of kamon, animals, plants and many other shapes and sizes were readily available and can still be found on EBay. Many wealthy families utilized a stamp that was set into the top of a large finger ring called a "signet ring". If you Google that term or "Japanese wax seal stamp" you will see they are still being produced today.

Regards,
    Stu

I must agree with Stu. Seals are still used in Japan. Ink seals known as hanko are the legal instrument on any document in lieu of a signature. I know of a family that was seriously defrauded when the husband became fatally ill and his trusted secretary used the hanko to sell his realestate and she pocketed the money.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks for the replies and interest in this piece everyone. Stu, I did not believe it was military issue from the start but it was sold in the ww2 section of a very large and well known antique shop here.

I have bought a large part of my collection in said shop, all of the pieces bought there are 100% authentic so I don't doubt this pieces authenticity either, that said this is a first for me and I know very little about them, I do know seals are still used today, not just in japan either. Perhaps it was owned by an officer and used for sealing personal letters, perhaps the Hyōtan was his family crest. That's just speculating though.

It is a shame I cant get in touch with the person who wrote on the piece of paper. It would sure help with shedding some light on this piece. Either way, its very unique and interesting. If I ever find out more ill be sure to post it on this thread.

Cheers-

D.L

?

[QUOTE=Darren Lillington;876794]... Perhaps it was owned by an officer and used for sealing personal letters, perhaps the Hyōtan was his family crest...

Hi Darren,

I think this is very likely the case and should you wish to dig around a bit to see what family used the Hyōtan as their kamon have a look here ...

Hidaka Family Emblems

Cheers,
    Stu