Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese officers sword

Article about: Nice find! I like how it still has the capture tag. Cheers, Robert

Default Japanese officers sword

Hi thought id share my latest addition with you guys and get some opinions waited a long time for my first Japanese sword looked at quite a few and this one was the one as brought back home in white cotton bag and with surrender tag.Anyone know what the tag says please love to know hand made blade feint hammon needs a clean how old is blade ww2?? or older please let me know.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese officers sword   Japanese officers sword  

Japanese officers sword   Japanese officers sword  

Japanese officers sword   Japanese officers sword  

Japanese officers sword  
    Last edited by airwarrior; 11-18-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Default Re: Japanese officers sword

Is this one worth polishing ?

?

From the pics shown I believe it to be a standard WWII period sword rather than an old blade in gunto mounts.

Polishing done in the USA, by a true expert such as Moses Becerra or Bob Benson, will run you $125 per inch of blade at the very least I believe these days. Not worth doing unless you have an old or special blade and even then the blade has to be worthy considering both the features you want to enhance and condition.

Enjoy yours for what it is, a memento of someones service and an icon of the period for the IJA.

Regards,
    Stu

?

hi Airwarrior , you have an IJA type 98 sword , looks to be of WW2 manufacture looking at the condition of the nakago ( tang ) , better pictures will be reqd. of both sides of the tang and some close ups of the blade to give a more accurate assessment . The scabbard is missing a mid - lower fitting and the tag is an added bonus .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Hi Alan please tell me what is missing i am a total novice with swords especially i can actually see what the fascination of these is they feel and look great.

?

Have a look here...two thirds the way down the scabbard...

http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~t-ohmura/gunto_021.htm

Regards,
    Stu

?

have a look at this scabbard ! I am glad you are enjoying the sword , care for it well , it is an iconic piece of WW2 history

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/milit...ysword-006.jpg
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Hi guys what is that bit called if i can find out do you think it would be worth replacing?

It is impossible to read the surrender tag with the pictures you have posted. All of the characters are not shown and some are faded and unreadable. With kanji, the meaning is defined with relation to the other kanji it is used in conjunction with.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

It's called a semegane. Basically a band that helps hold the scabbard (saya) together although in the case of an all metal scabbard I believe it is more decorative than functional. Someone like Doug Austin of guntoartswords.com may have a spare. Frankly, I'd just leave it as is.

Regards,
    Stu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast