Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese Officer's sword: Real or Fake?

Article about: A gentleman I work with took these pictures of a sword he owns. Can anyone tell me if this is legit?

?

Default Japanese Officer's sword: Real or Fake?

A gentleman I work with took these pictures of a sword he owns. Can anyone tell me if this is legit?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Officer's sword: Real or Fake?   Japanese Officer's sword: Real or Fake?  

Japanese Officer's sword: Real or Fake?   Japanese Officer's sword: Real or Fake?  

Japanese Officer's sword: Real or Fake?   Japanese Officer's sword: Real or Fake?  

A genuine Imperial Navy Landing Forces officer piece put together for wear in combat. The owner likely had another sword with the traditional navy mountings and purchased this unsigned war time factory blade for wear in combat.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Who was "Charles", I wonder.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

"Charles Turner Joy"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Officer's sword: Real or Fake?  

Just out of curiosity I googled the name:

Same guy???

Vice Admiral Charles Turner Joy
    Vice Admiral Charles Turner Joy (17 February 1895 – 6 June 1956) was an admiral of the United States Navy during World War II and the Korean War. During the last years of his career, he served as Superintendent of the Naval Academy. The destroyer USS Turner Joy (DD-951) was named for him.

Source Wiki
    --Guy

How many guys can there be named "Charles Turner Joy"? And it would be the hubris of an Admiral to have his own Name stamped into the blade of a captured sword...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Interesting.....

I like it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    How many guys can there be named "Charles Turner Joy"? And it would be the hubris of an Admiral to have his own Name stamped into the blade of a captured sword...

Most likely done short time ago when someone got hold of it, and wanted to make more money out of a sword.

my 2centavos worth

Quote by TrondK View Post
    Most likely done short time ago when someone got hold of it, and wanted to make more money out of a sword.

my 2centavos worth
    There is no way you can justify this comment without specific evidence. It would be interesting to find out the provenance on the piece.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    There is no way you can justify this comment without specific evidence. It would be interesting to find out the provenance on the piece.
    Agree 100%....this is a great sword and the personalization an extra plus. I just watched an amazing show on Samurai swords on History Channel....the rounding up of the swords post war, their distribution to Officers as souvenirs and then MacArthurs policy of destroying hundreds of thousands! Gut wrenching!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast