Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Japanese Officer's sword: Real or Fake?

Article about: A gentleman I work with took these pictures of a sword he owns. Can anyone tell me if this is legit?

?

This is what I found out from the owner. The sword belonged to his uncle who died about a month ago; so he can't ask him about where he got it from, that only means we'll never know.

Thank you all for your comments and advice on this piece.

By the way, he has other swords that came from his dead uncles collection. I hope to post them here soon enough.

Quote by get152 View Post
    This is what I found out from the owner. The sword belonged to his uncle who died about a month ago; so he can't ask him about where he got it from, that only means we'll never know.

Thank you all for your comments and advice on this piece.

By the way, he has other swords that came from his dead uncles collection. I hope to post them here soon enough.
    We look forward to it and hope to identify what you have.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Quote by Nigel Lesgate View Post
    Agree 100%....this is a great sword and the personalization an extra plus. I just watched an amazing show on Samurai swords on History Channel....the rounding up of the swords post war, their distribution to Officers as souvenirs and then MacArthurs policy of destroying hundreds of thousands! Gut wrenching!
    Attachment 693554

A well known picture of an American soldier putting his fingerprints on a blade which soon become a stain on the blade. I have seen pictures of a room in Tokyo with stacks of swords triple the height of this stack. Fortunately. noted sword experts Dr. Homma Junji and Dr. Sato were able to approach the head of the U S military police in occupied Japan Colonel Cadwell and explained the historical and artistic importance of the Japanese sword. This resulted in saving Nihon-To from destruction and provided for review of all souvenir swords going abroad as souvenirs to confirm they were not historically important.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

A very nice example of a "been there " IJN Officers sword , these are not often seen with a leather combat cover still attached to the scabbard . I like it !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

TANGENT:

What happened to the "LIKE" button? The only thing I can find [new?] is a "THANK" button, which does not seem appropriate .... but which I'm going to use of Bob's posting of the "Huge Stack O' Swords" image.

--Guy
    =====

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    A well known picture of an American soldier putting his fingerprints on a blade which soon become a stain on the blade. I have seen pictures of a room in Tokyo with stacks of swords triple the height of this stack. Fortunately. noted sword experts Dr. Homma Junji and Dr. Sato were able to approach the head of the U S military police in occupied Japan Colonel Cadwell and explained the historical and artistic importance of the Japanese sword. This resulted in saving Nihon-To from destruction and provided for review of all souvenir swords going abroad as souvenirs to confirm they were not historically important.

Very interested in learning more about this. Could you please tell them to contact me directly at jsnell8@gmail.com?

Quick background on this item, this item was stolen from my possession by movers in NJ in 2003. This item means a lot to me as Charles Turner Joy is my great grandfather.

Please have them contact me as soon as possible to fix this. Happy to prove to them that he is my great grandfather.

Thanks,
    John

jsnell8@gmail.com

MAP
    ?

John,

As said in the other post, this person has not posted since 2014. We can only assume that he joined for a short time and then left.

But you can email him. Go to this link of his profile page and you will see a link for "Send Email" in the upper left side of the page. That is about the best that can be done.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/member.php?u=39209
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2