Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese Prayer Flag

Article about: Dear fellow collectors, While my energy is mainly focused upon World War II era United States Army and German SS items, I came upon this Japanese kanji prayer flag on the estand and decided

?

Default Japanese Prayer Flag

Dear fellow collectors,

While my energy is mainly focused upon World War II era United States Army and German SS items, I came upon this Japanese kanji prayer flag on the estand and decided to take a chance and add it to my collection as a representative piece of Imperial Japan. These flags tend to evoke a mental imagery of the war propaganda and history lessons of my youth. Since I truly know nothing of this particular area of collecting, may I ask how my luck turned out?

Japanese Prayer Flag

Thanks for looking and any comments that follow.

CMH

?

Default Re: Japanese Prayer Flag

Congratulations on a very nice clean example of a Hinomaru Yosegaki flag . It looks like a two piece flag with the sun disc being sewn in as a separate piece of cloth to the white background which is good to see . The four main kanji in each corner are a common slogan on these flags ( BU UN CHO KYO ) translates as Everlasting Fortune in Battle . The rest of the kanji are mostly signatures of family and wellwishers . Could you post a close up of the stitching on the sundisc please if possible ?
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Hi Al,

Thank you for the kind comments and especially for the explanation regarding the translation and proper terminology (Hinomaru Yosegaki) of this item. I knew I was taking a chance picking up something that I really haven't any depth of knowledge on. Hasn't worked well for me in the past but I guess I got lucky. The seller is/was apparently a United States Marine and, having grown up around many Marines, I just had the gut instinct I could trust him and his collecting knowledge. Below are some close up photos of the sundisc stitching, front and back.

Thanks again,

CMH

Front:

Japanese Prayer FlagJapanese Prayer Flag

Back:

Japanese Prayer Flag

?

Many thanks for the super close ups , i love to examine the stitching and yours is hand stitched , not done on a by machine , very nice
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

A beautiful flag.

?

The flag has an interesting odor, difficult to place. It is a bit like Hoppes #9 but not quite...definitely something organic. In hand, it does show it's age. Thanks again for your comments. Happy holidays to all.

CMH

?

They wore them like diapers. I think it is either butt crack or balls smell (definitely organic and musky) that you are sniffen.

?

Quote by SteveR View Post
    They wore them like diapers. I think it is either butt crack or balls smell (definitely organic and musky) that you are sniffen.
    I love the smell of butt crack in the morning. Smells like...Victory.

Happy holidays Steve.

CMH

?

A nice Good Luck (Yosegaki Hinomaru) flag indeed.

For anyone wishing to delve more deeply into the study of these flags and the associated 1000 Stitch belts (Senninbari) I'll refer you to the web site of Dr. Mike Bortner. He authored what is considered to be the best reference on the subject.

Get History Today - Home

Also, there is a pinned references thread over on WAF in which many of the commonly encountered kanji slogans found on flags and belts have been translated. Here is a link ...

Thread for the Compilation of Kanji Slogans and Translations - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Last, but not least, should any of you wish to try locating a copy on the Net you can get one direct from Mike or perhaps on Amazon or the like. Mike can be reached through his web site or as MikeB over on WAF. Here's an image of the book ... it really is a fascinating read.

Japanese Prayer Flag

Regards,
    Stu

?

Quote by Stu W View Post
    A nice Good Luck (Yosegaki Hinomaru) flag indeed.

For anyone wishing to delve more deeply into the study of these flags and the associated 1000 Stitch belts (Senninbari) I'll refer you to the web site of Dr. Mike Bortner. He authored what is considered to be the best reference on the subject.

Get History Today - Home

Also, there is a pinned references thread over on WAF in which many of the commonly encountered kanji slogans found on flags and belts have been translated. Here is a link ...

Thread for the Compilation of Kanji Slogans and Translations - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Last, but not least, should any of you wish to try locating a copy on the Net you can get one direct from Mike or perhaps on Amazon or the like. Mike can be reached through his web site or as MikeB over on WAF. Here's an image of the book ... it really is a fascinating read.

Japanese Prayer Flag

Regards,
    Stu
    Stu,

Thank you for the excellent recommendations. I can see how this is a necessary reference for anyone interested in this area of collecting. I will enjoy reading a copy of this book.

Kindest regards,

CMH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast