Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Japanese Prayer Flag. Authentic? Translate?

Article about: I hope you will be able to relay back to the forum what the Dept. Head says about the flag. I would be very interested in this. Tom

Default Re: Japanese Prayer Flag. Authentic? Translate?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    The writing characters are the names of friends and relatives of the soldier wishing him courage and good luck. Japanese soldiers carried these on their person. As so many died in battle, they are often found blood stained.
    Thanks for the response, Bob! So all the Kanji on my flag are names? I don't see any blood staining on mine... just looks old and sun bleached.

Also! Which way should I display this? I don't know which end is up!

?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Thanks, Ade! I would have thought that the M1917A1 would be comfy with that big leather cushion smack dab in the center of it.

I'm sure you've already seen it, but here is a thread I made for it: U.S. WW2 M-1917A1 Helmet. Opinions?

I thought you reenacted Soviet Russian. When did you wear the M1917A1?
    he wore it in 1917 he just ages well , sorry Ade couldnt resist

?

Get it framed with UV proof glass the meat ball has really faded and that will protect it.

?

The third picture down is the right way....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Get it framed with UV proof glass the meat ball has really faded and that will protect it.
    I think I will do just that. I wonder how it got faded... the hot Pacific weather and searing sun... or was it sitting in some vet's sun room for years until I got it.

Note that your first two pictures show the reverse side of the signatures with all of the kanji appearing backward.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Note that your first two pictures show the reverse side of the signatures with all of the kanji appearing backward.
    So it should appear like this?

Japanese Prayer Flag. Authentic? Translate?Japanese Prayer Flag. Authentic? Translate?

That makes sense. The Kanji is a lot darker on this side... both on the brown stamps and the black writing. I'm assuming that the largest, most bold Kanji is the soldiers name?

?

I feel that this flag is a made up representation of a hinomaru yosegaki, not a true IJA carried example. Although the "kanji" looks like kanji I have my doubts. It all looks to be done in the same hand as well, no variation in strokes size of character, etc. Also, the red sun in the middle is not proportionate to the flag, taking up a lot of space in the middle. The hanko stamps do look similar or are maybe the same as those on your referenced website, but I do not believe that they are for a shinto shrine. (also, in the Coll. Guild flag, why is the same hanko stamped more than once? -- I do not believe shrines or even well wishers, if using a hanko, would use a stamp multiple times on a flag. All that being said, there is the possibility that it may be a Navy Seabee created flag, which is becoming desirable in its own right. There are stories of seabees copying true flags and adding fairly legit. looking "kanji" to their creations. They also used the bottoms of buckets to make the sun circle in the middle of the white cloth to create the hinomaru. just my opinion.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for your insight. I've had some people who speak Japanese take a look at the flag via pictures online, and they confirm that the Kanji is authentic, but in an old fashion style. I hope to meet with the head of the Japanese language department at Vassar college soon for additional help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast