Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Pre-War Sword

Article about: Hi all, Not long ago I've enherited this Japanese sword. The story is that my great grandfather who was a captain sailing the seven seas brought this home to Denmark after a visit to Japan b

Default Japanese Pre-War Sword

Hi all,

Not long ago I've enherited this Japanese sword.

The story is that my great grandfather who was a captain sailing the seven seas brought this home to Denmark after a visit to Japan before WWI.

He had a rather large weapon collection, that he at some point was forced to sell and this sword is the only item he kept. Later it was hanging on the wall in my grandparents appartment and now its mine.

Opinions are very welcome. See photos below.

Cheers, Mads

@Mod, for some reason I cant add the photos to the text box.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Pre-War Sword   Japanese Pre-War Sword  

Japanese Pre-War Sword   Japanese Pre-War Sword  

Japanese Pre-War Sword  

This is a type of sword mounting made for the export market during the Meiji period. In contains a genuine katana blade but the mounting is designed for the foreign market and is not anything close to the form of mounting worn by a true samurai. The habaki or collar between the blade and handguard has had it's original finish polished off. The handle can be removed by unscrewing the retaining pin in the handle. These are often threaded reverse of normal threading. The blades mounted in these form mounts are usually fair to good quality but nothing exceptional or of any great age.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thank you for info Bob. Were these mass produced?

Cheers, Mads

Quote by Shadwellarmy View Post
    Thank you for info Bob. Were these mass produced?

Cheers, Mads
    It is hand work so I do not know how to answer your question. I have seen them before but I would not think they were available in huge quantities. With the end of the feudal period, swords and armor became useless and the artisans who worked in the sword arts had to find new ways to make a living. Many of the fitting makers graduated in to other areas of metal work.
    BOB

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    With the end of the feudal period, swords and armor became useless and the artisans who worked in the sword arts had to find new ways to make a living. Many of the fitting makers graduated in to other areas of metal work.
    Here is an example of what Bob is talking about.
    These are two "snuff boxes " made from Japanese sword fittings.
    Ralph.

Japanese Pre-War SwordJapanese Pre-War SwordJapanese Pre-War SwordJapanese Pre-War Sword

The second one
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Pre-War Sword   Japanese Pre-War Sword  

Japanese Pre-War Sword   Japanese Pre-War Sword  

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks Bob and Ralph, very interesting info.

Quote by Shadwellarmy View Post
    Thanks Bob and Ralph, very interesting info.
    thank you for the "thank you."
    BOB

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    thank you for the "thank you."
    Likewise!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Mads I like the sword I don't know much about these.. infact I know nothing at all lol..but I think it looks good, & the helmets look good too.Have you posted pictures of the sand type helmet?? I wouldn't mind seeing that!!. Cheers Terry.