Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Scrolls, Help Please

Article about: Hi, Is anyone here familiar with Japanese scrolls and paintings? Here are three pieces and I want to know what they say, and who they were given to, And if they are original or not, if yes,

?

Default Japanese Scrolls, Help Please

Hi,

Is anyone here familiar with Japanese scrolls and paintings? Here are three pieces and I want to know what they say, and who they were given to, And if they are original or not, if yes, how much would they be worth?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Japanese Scrolls, Help PleaseJapanese Scrolls, Help PleaseJapanese Scrolls, Help PleaseJapanese Scrolls, Help PleaseJapanese Scrolls, Help PleaseJapanese Scrolls, Help PleaseJapanese Scrolls, Help Please

You won't get values here, so I'll just tell you what they are.

The first one is a postwar portrait of a son lost in the war (note the Greater East Asia War Medal, which was never issued in real life)

Second one says "Triumphant Entry/Return" dated fall of 1904, written by a government official of the Chinese Quing Dynasty. Must have been presented to a Japanese, as the date is written as Meiji 37.

The third says "Banzai" and is signed by Admiral Heihachiro Togo and dated 1928. Signature does look correct, but authentication by an expert on Togo scrolls is necessary.

?

Thank you Nick,

For the postwar portrait, how are you able to tell that this was a son lost in the war? Also do you know what the stamp says? If the medal was never issued why was it in the portrait?

Why would the Chinese Qing Dynasty government write a Triumphant to Japanese? Also is the name of the Japanese Isoroku Yamamoto? The famous Isoroku Yamamoto?

Are Admiral Heihachiro Togo scrolls rare? Also is he writing to the emperor of Japan? if yes why would this scroll even be on the market?

Thanks.

How am I able to tell a son and daughter apart? You need to prove you are over 18 before I answer that. The stamp only says it is property of some picture department archive. Postwar portraits of those lost in WW2 very often show the WW2 medal, which they would have normally gotten to make the lost son appear well decorated at least in death.

I do see now that the second one was addressed to a Yamamoto, but no first name, so it could be any Yamamoto.

The last scroll has nothing to do with the Emperor.

?

Sorry, I meant how do you know this painting was for a lost person? and not just a soldier that came home alive? is this a portrait of the deceased that the japanese families use for memorial purpose at the time?

Are you able to tell the first name of the second one?

I thought the last scroll says "your majesty", that's why i am assuming it's given to the emperor. If I am wrong, do you know what the last scroll was used for? Who it was written to? and for what purpose?

Thanks.

Some people still order such scrolls, which you can get here. It was common practice for wealthy families to remember their lost sons in this way after the war. Theoretically possible to do the same with a survivor, but very unlikely and the extra medal is a sure sign he died (take my word for it as it's not worth explaining in pages why).

You will have to ask the author which Yamamoto. I can only tell by the honorific employed that the author was of equivalent age or a senior of Yamamoto.

As I said, the last one simply says "Banzai", which is "Hoorah" in Japanese. Nothing about Your Majesty. He was a prolific calligrapher, so many examples exist. It could have been given to his neighborhood pub, like any movie star or football player autograph.

?

Thank you very much

?

where can i find an expert on Togo scrolls?

Ask here for instance, but I doubt they will authenticate anything just on the basis of photos, as they will normally examine the paper and backing, etc. They will probably charge you for their opinion as well.

Here's another example of a KIA portrait, wearing the Greater East Asia War Medal.
    Attached Images Attached Images Japanese Scrolls, Help Please