Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Japanese Service bag with contents

Article about: I’ve finally got round to posting this, hoko-bukuro which I picked up in Japan earlier this year and I was pretty pleased when I found it and bought it based on just opening the bag without

What a wonderful find indeed,and can only concur with whats already been said,beautifully preserved time capsule,well done on finding something quite rare.

Quote by Steve
    ...did you take that from the wooden tag?, my understanding is that this is the mother/wife's name, the soldiers name is in the lower left of the tag. ... if you wouldn't mind helping clear that up for me.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Hmmmmm ..... maybe.

(^__^)

--Guy

Awesome find

?

A lucky find friend. You did very well.

?

Very cool grouping!
    Did you by chance find any hair and/or nail clippings within some of the envelopes?

Also, could we see the hand written pages from the ID booklet? There should be a page or two of handwritten kanji separated by small red circles that are stamped. This will give details of the soldier's unit, travel, any battles fought, etc.

Thanks!

Tom

?

Quote by tomp View Post
    Very cool grouping!
    Did you by chance find any hair and/or nail clippings within some of the envelopes?

Also, could we see the hand written pages from the ID booklet?
    Hi Tom, Yes I did find the hair and nail clippings, each in a separate envelope with a photo. I read that this was done and left with the family before they were posted overseas.
    I will post some photos of the ID booklet today.

Thanks, Steve.

?

Here are the details from the ID booklet, there isn't a lot in there, I would be grateful for any help translating.
    Thanks,
    Steve.

?

Hey Steve,
    Thanks for the additional pictures. Looks like the booklet has one roll call stamp for 1944. Minimal information which, imo, is typical of late war booklets. No unit information or any other identifier. The soldier who used this booklet was pretty well along in years when looking at enlistment ages for the IJA. He was in his mid 30's by the time the war was winding down. I wonder if it is possible that he might have been in the IJA earlier in his life and was issued a new booklet because of loss, etc. Couldn't tell you. Looks like most of the stuff is for one guy as well, but I can't find a match to the single sheet notice pictured, possibly for someone else. Hope this helps and thanks again.

Tom

?

Tom,
    Thanks for information, it's a shame we can't get more detail, as you say it is more than likely some of his age would have served previously. I'll get a better photo of the draft/reporting notice' and see if that give more clues.
    Really appreciate the assistance.

Steve.

Page 34 gives his personal data:

愛知県半田市字中村
    Aichi-ken Handa-shi aza-Nakamura
    Aichi Prefecture, Handa City, Nakamura section

Home of Record:
    四十七居地の二
    yon jū nana I-chi no ni
    47 Residence #2

Name:
    神谷金義