Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese silk painting

Article about: Hello, Just thought I'd share a piece my granddad brought back with him when he was in Japan in WWII. It is a silk banner with a hand painted tiger on it. I realise it isn't a military item,

?

Default Japanese silk painting

Hello,
    Just thought I'd share a piece my granddad brought back with him when he was in Japan in WWII. It is a silk banner with a hand painted tiger on it. I realise it isn't a military item, I just thought you all might find it interesting.
    Thanks for looking,
    KevinJapanese silk painting

That's nice. It's called "Tiger Descending the Mountain" and is a very popular motif in Chinese/Japanese painting.

See here for some Google Images.

--Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese silk painting  

Its a very nice item. I have rotated it and cropped it so that it can be properly appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese silk painting  

?

Thank you so much

Very nice piece Thank you for sharing. Regards,Geoff

?

No problem, I really enjoy the comments

Default Silk painting

I am always impressed by the images of these fine examples of tiger art. The evolution of Japanese tiger artwork is an interesting one. Tigers are not indigenous to Japan. They were, however, seen on the mainland (Primarily China/Korea/India). Some Japanese saw their first live tigers while visiting those other places and there are popular stories of famous Japanese samurai who would travel the countryside in order to do battle with these beasts. Others had their first encounters with "real" tigers after seeing rugs or pelts of the preserved dead animals. They had to imagine what the real animal looked like based upon the rug displayed on the wall or floor. Some artists could only imagine what a real tiger looked like after having heard of them being described in oral or written stories. They only had the common house cat to study and would paint that smaller version using the tiger's stripes to complete their paintings. Looking back today, this makes for a funny representation as we all know that tigers are very large and quite powerful. Some of the first tiger art images were done by Buddhist monks. This makes sense as the monks often traveled back and forth between Japan to Korea and elsewhere, exchanging various cultural information, etc. Another interesting note: early Japanese artists believed that leopards were female tigers. You often see standard looking tigers (males), portrayed with smaller spotted "tigers" (female leopards) in some of the older pieces of artwork. Thanks again for posting.

MichaelB

?

Cool, I didn't know all that. Thank you for sharing that info.

?

Beautiful piece of work featuring one of nature's finest creations. Thank you for sharing.

?

Quite welcome, I've enjoyed showing it to you all. I'm rather proud of it. It's pretty precious to me since my Granddad has passed on.