Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese sword

Article about: I've had this sword for quite a few years now but have never been able to find any good information on it. I'm curious if anyone knows anything about it? The only history I have is that it w

foxx
    ?

Default Japanese sword

I've had this sword for quite a few years now but have never been able to find any good information on it. I'm curious if anyone knows anything about it? The only history I have is that it was brought back along with various other WWII artifacts (now spread throughout the family, unfortunately) after my grandfather and his brother returned from the war.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese sword   Japanese sword  

Japanese sword   Japanese sword  

Default Re: Japanese sword

Hi Foxx, welcome to the forum!

I cannot advise about your sword as it is not my collecting area. But I have added the pics direct to your post for you. Don't worry the size was fine.

Cheers, Ade.

?

the style of the markings on the tang is odd looking to me. could you post pictures of the blade too ?

foxx
    ?

I will try to take some better pictures tomorrow during the daylight. The indoor lighting doesn't seem to work too well.

Try to get a clear shot of the kanji. It is also easier if you post the kanji right side up and not sideways. The top of the writing is that closest to the cutting edge and the bottom is closest to the tip of the tang.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

foxx
    ?

The last two are the best I think I am going to be able to get with the lighting I have right now. I will try again tomorrow to see if I can get some better shots.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese sword   Japanese sword  

?

Hi Foxx , and welcome to the forum . It`s great to have these icons of Japanese militaria passed down through the family from the vets that retrieved them . Briefly , the first thing i noticed from your pictures was that the Tsuka ( handle ) and it`s top and bottom fittings ( Kashira and Fuchi )are civil and not military . This is not a problem and was frequently found when officers elected to take family blades into battle with them , ( many also had the tangs altered to conform and had military fittings installed ), rather than arsenal made swords . The brass Tsuba ( or handguard ) is however a military issue and has been swapped with the original one . You can see the hole to one side of this , and this was made to allow a leather strap to pass through from the lower fitting on the handle on to a snap fitting on a leather field cover on the scabbard , as a securing device to prevent the sword dropping out of the scabbard . However the scabbard you show has either had the covering removed or never had one to start with . As has already been stated , the Kanji ( or symbols ) on the tang are not as easily recognised , and will need more time to try to identify some of these . From the little you can see of the blade ( some more pictures of the blade would be nice ), it looks to be quite nice , i hope this helps a little ,
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

foxx
    ?

Here are some more pictures of the blade.

?

Hi again Foxx , thanks for the extra photos , unfortunately they do not help a great deal , it is very difficult to get close up photos isn`t it . However i think i can see a faint temper line on the blade and still think it is a nice one ! One thing i would like to mention is the maintenance of your sword ! I can see finger prints on the blade - so a couple of tips , please do not handle the blade with your bare hands as these prints will burn into the steel eventually , causing damage , also get a maintenance kit and oil your blade periodically with Choji oil to keep it in good condition , as these blades can deteriorate badly if left .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

foxx
    ?

I will definitely get the choji oil.. I try to handle the sword as little as possible and didn't even think when I was touching the blade. Thank you for that warning! I've spent the past two days trying to figure out what the kanji says but they don't seem to be common symbols. Also, the temper line is very faint, I don't know if that means anything, but even looking at it up close, it is difficult to discern. The scabbard is in pretty bad condition... I can't tell if there were any coverings around it or not. I'm interested now to find out how old this is after what you said about officers electing to take family blades into battle. If there is anything else I can describe or take a picture of, let me know. I'd like to find out as much as I can!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast