Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese sword

Article about: Just ordered this nice sword and I like it, any other information about it available? ( Year of production etc) http://www.military-antiques-stockho...8&kategori=139

?

Default Japanese sword

Just ordered this nice sword and I like it, any other information about it available? ( Year of production etc)
    http://www.military-antiques-stockho...8&kategori=139
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Default Re: Japanese sword

Dimas-
    Your sword is a war time production blade made in the solingen of Japan, Seki City. The lacquered wood scabbard with leather field cover dates your sword around 1943/1944. I hope this is the information you were seeking.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Tom2
    ?

All I will add is that there are quite a few "funny" swords being sold from China. Some apparently trans-shipped thru Australia or Britain. Usually have low starting prices and stories of authenticity. A close inspection of the photos reveals inconsistent details, despite authentic looking aging applied to some. I myself have a nice Japanese cavalry sabre purchased at a local market nearby for 80$, seller had no idea. Also found a relic condition samurai short sword at a lost freight sale for 10$. Looked as though it was a pickup that was exposed to the elements for some time. Not great shape but some of the hardware is very nice. Had makers symbols on the tang, decoded them with help of a Japanese sword website. Unfortunately was a name used by several so could have been 19th century or later. Gave it to my brother to hang on the wall. Needs to come down and get a good waxing soon.

Quote by Tom2 View Post
    All I will add is that there are quite a few "funny" swords being sold from China. Some apparently trans-shipped thru Australia or Britain. Usually have low starting prices and stories of authenticity. A close inspection of the photos reveals inconsistent details, despite authentic looking aging applied to some. I myself have a nice Japanese cavalry sabre purchased at a local market nearby for 80$, seller had no idea. Also found a relic condition samurai short sword at a lost freight sale for 10$. Looked as though it was a pickup that was exposed to the elements for some time. Not great shape but some of the hardware is very nice. Had makers symbols on the tang, decoded them with help of a Japanese sword website. Unfortunately was a name used by several so could have been 19th century or later. Gave it to my brother to hang on the wall. Needs to come down and get a good waxing soon.

can you pleas post some pictures of the whakizashi/tanto you gave to your brother
    maybe i can help you with the date

cheers j