Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Japanese Sword

Article about: Hello all, I bought this sword about a year ago and i am just now getting around to taking some pictures. I have little knowledge in the area and was hoping someone could help me out. The ti

?

Default Japanese Sword

Hello all,

I bought this sword about a year ago and i am just now getting around to taking some pictures. I have little knowledge in the area and was hoping someone could help me out. The tip is chipped and the lock for the sheath does not work, but it was in my price range at the time and I had to have it. Any opinions on it would be greatly appreciated. If anyone could help me read the kanji on the tang that would be awesome! .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Sword   Japanese Sword  

Japanese Sword   Japanese Sword  

?

Default Re: Japanese Sword

Just wanted to give a little bump. Hope you all's day is going well!

Have patience, Doug. Someone will be by shortly to help you out.

In the mean time, you should try to take much better photos using natural light. As they are now, they are very dark and do not do your sword justice. May I suggest taking your sword outside for photos?

?

I'm trying Joe, its just something I've wondered for so long. So excuse my excitement. I will try and take some better pictures of the sword now and post them.

Remember, a lot of our members are from the UK and Europe... They could be sleeping!

?

True! I know that everyone has their lives outside of the forum and I do not mean to come across as pushy. I have taken the pictures and will be posting them shortly.

Very nice piece even with the few condition issue i think it is not one made for officer but one made before ,maybe a family piece maybe somebody else can clarify this

?

Here are better pictures of the sword. The tang is signed on both sides and is also signed on the back side.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Sword   Japanese Sword  

?

Hello,

In no particular order, if you want the kanji translated you will need to post a photo of the entire group so that we can see the context then photos of small groups starting from the top and working down. These segments must show the kanji in clear focus. Kanji are read from top to bottom and the tip of the sword would be at the top.

Now, I believe I see a "star" stamp on your blade. If so it's made by a member of the Rikugun Jumei Tosho. Have a look down near the bottom left at this link for some info ...

JAPANESE SHOWA ERA SWORDS

Although damaged your sword may be worth repairing. Let Bob Coleman advise you in that regard.

In short, it appears to be a gendaito in gunto IJA Officer Type 98 mounts.

I'm sure Guy will be along shortly and have the kanji translated. He's way faster at it than I am. Just try and make sure he has all the photos he will need.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Quote by ww2relichunter View Post
    Very nice piece even with the few condition issue i think it is not one made for officer but one made before ,maybe a family piece maybe somebody else can clarify this
    Hello,

Here are two site links that you may find beneficial in learning about Japanese swords.

THE JAPANESE SWORD INDEX

Military Swords of Imperial Japan (Gunto)

Regards,
    Stu

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast